bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hades in context  (Read 4284 times)

TheRysta

Hades in context
« on: March 31, 2009, 03:45:16 PM »

Hi.

I don't know the bible that well and certainly with the KJV I can't distinguish between the use of the word 'Gehenna' and 'Hades'. Could someone provide me with a few verses in which 'Hades' is used so that I can examine them in context?

I am still wondering as to whether we were told to fear the grave or whether people just did. It would make a difference.

Thanks.

;D

Deborah-Leigh

Re: Hades in context
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 03:56:23 PM »

JESUS--4 times:

1. "Capernaum... brought down to hell [hades/unseen]" (Matt. 11:23)
    "Capernaum... thrust down to hell [hades/unseen]" (Luke 10:15)

2. "hell [hades/unseen] shall not prevail against...church" (Matt. 16:18)

3. "And in hell [hades/unseen] he lifted up his eyes" (Luke 16:23--parable)

4. "I [Jesus]... have the keys to hell [hades/unseen]" (Rev. 1:18)

DISCIPLES--4 times:

5. "You will not leave My [Jesus'] soul in hell [hades/unseen]" (Acts 2:27)
    "Christ...His soul was not left in hell [hades/unseen]" (Verse 31)

6. "Death and hell [hades/unseen] followed with him" (Rev. 6:8)

7. "Death and hell [hades/unseen] delivered up the dead" (Rev. 20:13)
    "Death and hell [hades/unseen] were cast into lake of fire" (Verse 14)

8. "O grave [hades/unseen] where is thy victory" (I Cor. 15:55)

That's it. These are the only eight occasions (not hundreds and hundreds as deceiving theologians falsely contend) where the translation "hell" is even conceivably justified in all Scripture, and is the only eight occasions were the Greek word hades is found in Greek NT manuscripts.
http://bible-truths.com/lake16-D5.htm

For more information you can study the eight part Hell Series at http://bible-truths.com/ Just find the list in the Lake of Fire Series in the red block item number 16.

Enjoy!

Arc

indianabob

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 04:00:12 PM »

Rysta,

Since you mentioned that you really don't know the Bible that well, I have a suggestion.

Please purchase for yourself a copy of Strongs Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible and use it every day.  There are other concordances by different editors as well.  In a few weeks you will find that you can't get along without it.

Also you may find a copy of "e-sword" a digital Bible reference very helpful.  It is available free on the web.

If one is going to study the Bible these resources as well as some others are very valuable.

TheRysta

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 06:53:12 AM »

Thank you! I thought it would have been much more than that.

I have examined the verses in context, and to empathise I do reckon that Jesus was substituting 'hell' for 'sheol', because he wouldn't have begun talking about a realm that the people did not know about.

The words are also used in the present tense and there is no implication of 'future' punishment. Since death and life are used as metaphors I presume that Hades must follow.

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 10:17:53 AM »

It's perfectly natural to fear the grave and death and hades, though we are told that to be dead is to know NOTHING...to have NO perception.  To die is the worst thing that can happen to a human being without hope.   

What we have is hope, and that lies in resurrection.  And if the world and the church knew and believed the truth about resurrection, they'd have hope too, and a greater hope than is preached from the pulpits.  They pervert the very and only hope we have! 

I don't mean to condescend, but it's helpful to remember that the Bible was not written in English.  The Old Testament was written in Hebrew, and the New Testament primarily in Greek.  The Greek words which are recorded in the NT are sometimes translations of Hebrew words in the OT.  The problem is largely in how some of the English translations play fast and loose with the language and insert a very obvious and definate bias to support a Hell=Eternal Punishment theology.  One of the strongest 'tools' for dismantling that bias is to truthfully and spiritually define the words being used.

Ray explains it fully.  Follow the links and suggestions others have left.
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 19 queries.