bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: I see Monsters  (Read 15141 times)

josh

I see Monsters
« on: June 05, 2006, 04:16:33 PM »

"...those who are ready to rouse Leviathan..."
Job 3:7-9  

"...Can you pull in the leviathan with a fishhook or tie down his tongue with a rope?..."
Job 41:1-3

"...It was you who crushed the heads of Leviathan and gave him as food to the creatures of the desert..."
Psalm 74:13-15

"...There the ships go to and fro, and the leviathan, which you formed to frolic there..."
Psalm 104:25-27

"...In that day, the LORD will punish with his sword, his fierce, great and powerful sword, Leviathan the gliding serpent, Leviathan the coiling serpent; he will slay the monster of the sea..."
Isaiah 27:1-3

Leviathan... Symbol or literal beast? Both?

chrissiela

I see Monsters
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 05:57:18 PM »

Hey Josh,

Who/what else do we know as a 'serpent', as being 'formed', that goeth 'to and fro' (and up and down)??  :shock:

Good study on the TONGUE there, too.  :lol:

Chrissie

mercie

I see Monsters
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 09:44:52 PM »

Monsters!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leviathan a Monster?

Please Help and explain?

gmik

monsters
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 10:09:14 PM »

Mercie, Hi and welcome.  The Leviathan as Chrissie said is symbolism for the Serpent, that crafty devil....No monsters :D

mercie

Re: monsters
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 10:18:20 PM »

Quote from: gmik
Mercie, Hi and welcome.  The Leviathan as Chrissie said is symbolism for the Serpent, that crafty devil....No monsters :D

Gina

Thank you so much for your friendly welcome and response.

Im new here and have read so many articles from both Mike and Rays Respective sites (and posts )but reading this thread became confusing.

If Chrissie would add some more , I would also be very thankful.

Daniel

I see Monsters
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 10:42:37 PM »

Quote from: chrissiela
Hey Josh,

Who/what else do we know as a 'serpent', as being 'formed', that goeth 'to and fro' (and up and down)??  :shock:

Good study on the TONGUE there, too.  :lol:

Chrissie

That tongue :shock:

Heb 2:14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;[/u]

Power of death is two places (above and below :shock: )

Prov 18:21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue[/u] :shock:  and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.

James 3:6 the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity[/u] :shock:

Job 41:1 Canst thou draw out leviathan with an hook? or HIS TONGUE with a cord which THOU LETTEST DOWN?[/u]

2Thes 2:7 For the mystery of iniquity  :shock: doth already work: only he who NOW LETTETH WIILL LET, "until he be taken out of the way".

Prov 17:14 The beginning of strife is as when "one" letteth out water[/u]

Psalm 31:21 Thou shalt hide them in the secret of thy presence from the pride of man: thou shalt keep them secretly in a pavilion from the strife of tongues.[/u]

Psalm 55:9 Destroy, O Lord, and divide their tongues :shock:  for I have seen violence and strife in the city.

Job 5:1 Thou shalt be hid from the scourge of the tongue: neither shalt thou be afraid of destruction when it cometh.  :D (Pride goeth before destruction)

Leviathan

Job 41:15 His scales are his pride, shut up together as with a close seal.

Job 41:34 He beholdeth all high things (highminded?): he is a king over all the children of pride.[/u]

1Titus 3:6 Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.[/u]

2Cr 2:11 Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of HIS DEVICES.[/u]

Lam 3:62 The LIPS of those that rose up against me, and their DEVICE against me all the day.  :shock:

The tongue is a small member but it sure plays a big part in scripture :lol:

Daniel

gmik

I see monsters
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 10:56:24 PM »

Thanks Daniel!

Those scriptures are what convinced me that the Blab it and Grab it theology was right. Ha.  I was constantly monitoring every word I said so as not to say something that would "get" me later-like saying Oh that kills me like after a funny story.  Nope saying kills me is a no no.  Funny, I didn't think of it as magic incantation.

Now these scriptures read as parables and seeing me in them.  How liberating.  I am nothing.  He is everything!

orion77

I see Monsters
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 11:39:42 PM »

The whole chapter, Job 41 speaks of leviathan:

(Job 41:1)  Can you draw out the leviathan with a hook, or hold down his tongue with a cord?

(Job 41:2)  Can you put a reed rope into his nose, or pierce his jaw with a thorn?

(Job 41:3)  Will he multiply pleas for help to you; or will he speak soft words to you?

(Job 41:4)  Will he cut a covenant with you; will you take him for a slave forever?

(Job 41:5)  Will you play with him as with a bird; or will you tie him up for your maidens?

(Job 41:6)  Shall your partners bargain over him; shall they divide him among the merchants?

(Job 41:7)  Can you fill his skin with barbs, or his head with fishing spears?

(Job 41:8)  Put your hand on him; remember the battle; you will not do it again!

(Job 41:9)  Behold, his hope has been made false; will he not be cast down at the sight of him?

(Job 41:10)  None is so fierce as to dare to stir him up. Who then is able to stand before Me?

(Job 41:11)  Who has gone before Me that I should repay? All under the heavens, it is Mine!

(Job 41:12)  I will not keep silent as to his limbs, or the matter of his powers, or the grace of his frame.

(Job 41:13)  Who can take off the face of his covering; who can come with his double bridle?

(Job 41:14)  Who can pry open the doors of his face? Terror is all around his teeth.

(Job 41:15)  The rows of shields are his pride, shut up with a tight seal;

(Job 41:16)  one is so near to another that no air can come between them;

(Job 41:17)  they are joined to one another; they clasp each other, so that they cannot be separated.

(Job 41:18)  His sneezings flash forth light, and his eyes are as the eyelids of the dawn.

(Job 41:19)  Out of his mouth go burning torches; sparks of fire fly out.

(Job 41:20)  Smoke goes out of his nostrils like a boiling pot fired by reeds.

(Job 41:21)  His breath kindles coals and the flame goes out from his mouth.

(Job 41:22)  Strength abides in his neck and terror dances before him.

(Job 41:23)  The folds of flesh cleave together, cast firm on him; he cannot be moved.

(Job 41:24)  His heart is cast hard as a stone, even cast hard as a piece of a lower millstone.

(Job 41:25)  The mighty are afraid from his arising; from the crashings they miss the way.

(Job 41:26)  The sword overtakes him, but will not hold firm, nor the spear, the dart, or the javelin.

(Job 41:27)  He counts iron as straw, bronze as rotten wood.

(Job 41:28)  A son of a bow cannot make him flee; slingstones are turned to stubble by him;

(Job 41:29)  darts are counted as stubble; he laughs at the shaking of a javelin.

(Job 41:30)  Points of potsherds are under him; he spreads sharp marks on the mire.

(Job 41:31)  He makes the deep boil like a pot; he makes the sea like a pot of ointment;

(Job 41:32)  he makes a path to shine after him; one would think the deep to be grayheaded.

(Job 41:33)  There is nothing like him on earth, one made without fear.

(Job 41:34)  He beholds all high things; he is king over all the sons of pride.

Seems as though this leviathan is one tough beast.  Of course these are spiritual words describing the beast within us all.  Interesting words in this chapter: tongue, cord, thorn, false hope, double bridle, pride, tight seal, strength in neck, slingstones and without fear.

The carnal mind is one tough beast, but not one that God can't conquer.  Makes for one hell of a battle.  :wink:

God bless,

Gary

chrissiela

I see Monsters
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 12:07:45 AM »

Quote from: Daniel

The tongue is a small member but it sure plays a big part in scripture :lol:

That nasty little devil!!!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

chrissiela

Re: monsters
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 12:10:13 AM »

Quote from: mercie
Quote from: gmik

Gina

Thank you so much for your friendly welcome and response.

Im new here and have read so many articles from both Mike and Rays Respective sites (and posts )but reading this thread became confusing.

If Chrissie would add some more , I would also be very thankful.

Hi mercie!!

I see that some others beat me to it.... I'll have to read what was added already and then maybe tomorrow I can add some more....  :wink:

But right about now my pillow is calling me.  :lol:

Chrissie

Daniel

I see Monsters
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 12:26:19 AM »

Yeah thats why He is SHUT UP or LOOSED :lol:  Much like the Tongue, isn't it? l

Jesus healed a dumb man and He LOOSED to STRING of His TONGUE :lol:

The tongue is like "a bow" that can "be bent" (try it) "with a string" that "shoots off" fiery darts  :shock:

Psalm 11:2 For, lo, the wicked bend their bow, "they make ready their arrow" upon the string, that they "may privily" shoot at "the upright in heart."  :shock:

No man can tame the tongue, they give away their positions easily enough :lol: Thats why if a man bridelth not His tongue, "this mans" religion is vain.

Either the King of Humility is riding your back or the King of Pride, God try the reins of my heart PLEASE :lol:

Daniel

eutychus

I see Monsters
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 08:39:07 AM »

que this:

Isa 9:15 The ancient and honourable, he [is] the head; and the prophet that teacheth lies, he [is] the tail.

mercie

I see Monsters
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2006, 10:12:56 AM »

Thank you all so much , you have been very helpful.

Could this be why New Tongues were given as all things made New being a New creation  ?

Dividing the Old sharpened Ones ?

Psa 140:3 They have sharpened their tongues like a serpent; adders' poison [is] under their lips. Selah.

Rom 3:13 Their throat [is] an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps [is] under their lips:

Psa 55:9 Destroy, O Lord, [and] divide their tongues: for I have seen violence and strife in the city.

Jer 23:28 The prophet that hath a dream, let him tell a dream; and he that hath my word, let him speak my word faithfully. What [is] the chaff to the wheat? saith the LORD.  

Jer 23:29 [Is] not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer [that] breaketh the rock in pieces?  

Jer 23:30 Therefore, behold, I [am] against the prophets, saith the LORD, that steal my words every one from his neighbour.  

Jer 23:31 Behold, I [am] against the prophets, saith the LORD, that use their tongues, and say, He saith.  

Jer 23:32 Behold, I [am] against them that prophesy false dreams, saith the LORD, and do tell them, and cause my people to err by their lies, and by their lightness; yet I sent them not, nor commanded them: therefore they shall not profit this people at all, saith the LORD.

Mar 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

Act 2:3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.

Act 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

josh

Monsters is hard to spell. =)
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 11:40:02 AM »

The reason for my original question was that the description in Job chapter 41 (in some parts) made this beast seem almost invincible...

It wasn't until I searched the scriptures on biblegateway.com, that i realized this "beast" was found in other portions of scripture...

While I definitely see the symbolism for "satan" or the devil.... I'm not sure I would have seen it representing the tongue... (it's neat to me that this symbol represents something both physical and spiritual.) After reading jobs friends yammer on for about 20 chapters (using their tongues to judge/condem Job, rather than encouraging him) I can see how this crafty beast was at work in the story of Job long before chapter 41.

Learning
Josh

Daniel

I see Monsters
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 12:49:11 PM »

Mercie, I see it as you wrote it :lol: Psalm 55:9 DESTROY O Lord and DIVIDE THEIR TONGUES :shock: I have seen VIOLENCE and STRIFE in the city

Then I HEARD a sound from heaven as of a rushing wind and it filled the house where they were sitting :idea:

Acts 2:3-4 And there appeared unto them CLOVEN (Divided?) TONGUES like AS OF FIRE, and it sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to SPEAK WITH OTHER TONGUES, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Perhaps KINDLY? :lol:

Daniel

chrissiela

I see Monsters
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2006, 01:39:43 PM »

Pro 25:11  A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver.

Just came across that.... thought WOW!!!  :D

Figured I'd work it in here with the TONGUE.  :lol:  :lol:

mercie

I see Monsters
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2006, 02:08:38 PM »

Quote from: bobbys43
Hi Mercie and so nice to see a not so familar face(name) here at the forum.Welcome my friend.

The tongue is a nasty serpent and it can be taimmed. I should know for God has the leash on mine!!!!

bobby

Thanks Kindly Bobby very nice to meet you too.

AMEN that nasty little member.

Gal 5:15 But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another

Daniel

I see Monsters
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2006, 02:12:33 PM »

Quote from: chrissiela
Pro 25:11  A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver.

Just came across that.... thought WOW!!!  :D

Figured I'd work it in here with the TONGUE.  :lol:  :lol:

Nothing like the FRUIT of your LIPS huh? :lol:  The TONGUE of the wise IS the Tree of life a WHOLESOME TONGUE.

Keep THE LAW as THE APPLE of YOUR EYE. What law? If you "judge your brother" you judge THE LAW :shock:  We are our brother's KEEPER. The simplicity of the faith and the love of Jesus Christ (the SINGLE EYE) of purity and devotion to Christ. The Kindness you have shown TOWARD HIS NAME.

There is a "law of kindness" on ones lips :wink:

Daniel

mercie

I see Monsters
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2006, 02:20:43 PM »

Sgs 2:3 As the apple tree among the trees of the wood, so [is] my beloved among the sons. I sat down under his shadow with great delight, and his fruit [was] sweet to my taste.

Daniel

I see Monsters
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2006, 02:23:13 PM »

Quote from: mercie
Sgs 2:3 As the apple tree among the trees of the wood, so [is] my beloved among the sons. I sat down under his shadow with great delight, and his fruit [was] sweet to my taste.

Excellent Mercie!!! :D  Who hath made us accepted in the beloved

Daniel
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.