bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: David's 5 stones - why?  (Read 8627 times)

Triton

David's 5 stones - why?
« on: April 02, 2009, 01:24:37 PM »

Hello All,

I'm wondering about the significance of the five stones that David had with him.

He only used one. But why is it mentioned that he had five?

Can anyone help out a bit.

Thanks!
Paul

Marky Mark

Re: David's 5 stones - why?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 02:25:53 PM »

Extra ammunition  ;D.  I for one never went hunting without extra,never can be to sure.

Kat

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 02:56:31 PM »

Hi Paul,

It seems that it always comes back to this parable throughout the Bible about God making man into His image, the many and the few, as Ray has said the Bible is "one giant parable."

As David chooses five stones, which could represent the many, but he only uses one, representing the few that go on to be chosen.  You could carry this a on further as when David kills the giant, so the Elect will reign and rule with Christ, they will be the tools in Gods hands (as the stone was in David's hand) that help destroy the giant evils in this world.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

aqrinc

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 04:14:59 PM »

Hi Mark,

Remember how All Scripture must be read in order to understand.

1. No Scripture can be its own interpretation so we cannot use any scripture in isolation to prove anything.

Twelve Truths to Understanding His Word: http://bible-truths.com/twelve.htm

Joh 6:63 (GNB)
What gives life is God's Spirit; human power is of no use at all. The words I have spoken to you bring God's life-giving Spirit.

2Pe 1:20 (MKJV)
knowing this first, that no prophecy of the Scripture came into being of its own private interpretation.

2Pe 1:21 (GW)
No prophecy ever originated from humans. Instead, it was given by the Holy Spirit as humans spoke under God's direction.

Rom 15:4 
Everything written in the Scriptures was written to teach us, in order that we might have hope through the patience and encouragement which the Scriptures give us.

2Ti 3:16 (GNB)
All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching the truth, rebuking error, correcting faults, and giving instruction for right living,

2Ti 3:17  (GNB)
so that the person who serves God may be fully qualified and equipped to do every kind of good deed.

george. ;D

daywalker

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 05:26:28 PM »

Kat,great answer :).

This brings to mind a question.In all of the scripture that we all love so much do all of the words always have to be taken spiritually or can they be taken for what they are actually saying.I mean does 5 stones have to mean anymore than what it says.( 5 stones). I know that Jesus's words are Spirit but how can we know when it may be only just a literal word meaning as opposed to a spiritual word meaning.

Peace...Mark

Remember that the Entire Bible is GOD'S WORD. And remember that Jesus speaks not of His Own Words, but of His Father's. Jesus and His Father Are ONE.

Jesus' Words are God's Words; and God's Word is Jesus' Word.

Yes, it is necessary to understand the literal/physical teaching, in order to understand the Spiritual. [I Corinthians 15:46] But God's Word is not a literal/physical book; it's a SPIRITUAL BOOK.

Also, remember that Jesus said, "The flesh is not benefiting anything".

The literal/physical meaning will do you no good, if you cannot see the Spiritual Meaning.

Hope that helps,

Daywalker.

Marky Mark

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 05:32:04 PM »

Hi Mark,

Remember how All Scripture must be read in order to understand.

1. No Scripture can be its own interpretation so we cannot use any scripture in isolation to prove anything.

Joh 6:63 (GNB)
What gives life is God's Spirit; human power is of no use at all. The words I have spoken to you bring God's life-giving Spirit.

2Pe 1:20 (MKJV)
knowing this first, that no prophecy of the Scripture came into being of its own private interpretation.

2Pe 1:21 (GW)
No prophecy ever originated from humans. Instead, it was given by the Holy Spirit as humans spoke under God's direction.

Rom 15:4 
Everything written in the Scriptures was written to teach us, in order that we might have hope through the patience and encouragement which the Scriptures give us.

2Ti 3:16 (GNB)
All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching the truth, rebuking error, correcting faults, and giving instruction for right living,

2Ti 3:17  (GNB)
so that the person who serves God may be fully qualified and equipped to do every kind of good deed.

george. ;D

George my friend,thank-you for the gentle nudge into the direction that I was seeking ;D

Another light bulb moment ;)   

From Rays paper

TRUTH NUMBER 8

[A] "Now ALL these things happened unto them for examples: and they are written for OUR ADMONITION [to reprove, caution, warn, remind of obligation or duty, etc.], upon whom the ends of the world [‘eons—ages’] are come" (I Cor. 10:11).

"Now these things were OUR EXAMPLES, to the intent we should not lust after evil things, as they also lusted" (I Cor. 10:6).

[C] "For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for OUR LEARNING…" (Rom. 15:4).

Peace...Mark

Mando

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 05:34:00 PM »

Remember this, Goliath had 4 brothers. Maybe David was thinking, if his brothers wanna join the party, come on I got 4 extra stones  ;)

aqrinc

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 06:00:47 PM »

Remember this, Goliath had 4 brothers. Maybe David was thinking, if his brothers wanna join the party, come on I got 4 extra stones  ;)

No extra weight here huh.

george. ;D

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 20 queries.