bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: You must be married in our church...OR ELSE!  (Read 5598 times)

mhykx

You must be married in our church...OR ELSE!
« on: April 07, 2009, 06:18:48 AM »

Just want to share to all of you what had just transpired in my conversation with a school guidance counselor and to hear your opinion on this.

Almost all of the elementary schools in our area are catholic-based.  Schools are named after "saints" - St. Joseph, St. Therese, St. Andrews, St. Francis, etc.  One of the requirements of the one of these schools is a certificate that the child's parents are married by Catholic rite.  It so happened that my wife and I had civil wedding so I asked the counselor if they won't accept my child to their school because of this reason.  They said that they will accept my child PROVIDED I sign a note that my wife and I will participate in a mass catholic church wedding to be conducted within the child's school year.

Can you believe that?!  That's a classic example of blatant discrimination!  >:(  ;D Haha, just had to laugh a bit after the talk.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 11:18:11 AM by mhykx »

Ninny

Re: You must be married in our church...OR ELSE!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 10:14:19 AM »

You'd better home school if that's the requirement that's just too scary! :o BUT it doesn't really surprise me!!
Kathy :D

Kat

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 11:42:39 AM »

If you think this is the best school for your child (is that her in your avatar, she's adorable) to attend, then I would say what can it hurt to go through this physical ritual?  This 'mass catholic church wedding' is not anything too elaborate or costly is it?  It is only meaningful to them, right, it has nothing to do with the spirit.  I mean it will not do anything positive or negative for you, so where is the harm in it?  Just the way I'm looking at it, if it's a requirement then you have to do it to get her in, I can't see a big deal, but do whatever you think is best for the child.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Phil3:10

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 12:27:12 PM »

Kat,
I have never disagreed with you on any thing but I do take exception on this matter of participating in the Catholic marriage ritual in order to get your child in a Catholic school.  I  know that Catholic schools have a much better reputation than public schools based on the quality of their education programs.  Also, I know that the influence brought to bear, on all that participate, to accept Catholic doctrine is tremendous. To do this in a deceptive way to just get your child in school is not my idea of the right way.
I personally feel the Catholic Institution is one of the most damaging causes to our LORD and is pagan beyond description. However, their influence is tremendous and their methods in getting converts is as heavy handed as any Babylonian System other than Islam.
I feel there must be other avenues available like home schooling, private school, or the best public schools. I know people who have moved just to get their child in the best public school.
My special thanks to you for all your many contributions but I do find disagreement regarding this matter.
In HIM,

Kat

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 01:09:24 PM »

Hi Phil3:10,

My comments were not directed at the influence of school on the child.  But I was speaking of this 'wedding ceremony' as not being the reason to make the decision, IMO.

I do agree that the Catholic institution is Babylon to the core and I would avoid any contact, but that is not what this person was asking.  Home schooling is not an option for everybody, nor is private school (costly).  I think as long as people are trying to do the best they can in the situation that they are in...  Anyway I see what you're saying and would agree.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 01:15:51 PM »

I don't have any advice for you, but I agree with you that this is one silly requirement.  It is a pretty good example of what happens when a 'club' gets control of a major segment of a society...probably more true in the heavily Catholic PI than in the US or Europe.  It's one thing to acknowlege their 'right' to limit enrollment, but another thing entirely to consider the meaninglessness of their legalism.
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

mhykx

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 08:07:51 PM »

In PI, there's no way you can avoid catholicism.  Even public schools teach catholic doctrine in their religion subject.  I have learned to accept that no matter how hard I try to cover my children from the deceitful doctrines of Catholic, they will surely be exposed to them.

After the convesation I had with the school (St. Joseph) counselor, I started to look for other institutions.  But still, St. Joseph tops the list!  And my wife has nothing against the "mass wedding".

Kat, the one in the avatar is my 3-yr old daughter (Dada's girl!  ;D). Her big brother is the one who is going to school this year.  Thank you for the compliment!

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 08:50:27 PM »

Mhykx and Kat,
I am sorry that I did not realize the country was the Philippines and I know the Catholic church dominates in that area. However, I still feel the marriage issue with the mass wedding is not appropriate. Marriage to me is a sacred institution and not to be played around with. I know that I do not have the problem that Mhylx has in finding the best school for his children and don't feel qualified to offer my opinion as to what he and his wife feel is in their families best interest. This is a decision they are best qualified to make and even though I don't agree with the mass wedding I am in know position to offer them advice. I pray that my opinion concerning the mass weddings is not offensive to anyone and apologize to anyone that might be offended.
In HIM,

mhykx

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 09:03:37 PM »

Although I always encourage my wife to give her inputs in making our decision, it still I that gives the "final verdict."  I have shared the knowledge to my wife on how the religion around us operates but she still has her inclination toward Catholic (for she is raised a catholic), and that this "church wedding" kind'a "thrills" her, so to speak.

It is really not easy to be a parent.  :-\

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 03:08:34 AM »

I can think of worse things than a Catholic marriage. The Catholic Creed for example. They recite that they believe that Christ descended into Hell and on the third day He rose again. Rather like having to say you believe the earth is flat before you are acceptable!

I look at it this way. What is marriage? http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,5675.0.html

(9)  Marriage comes under the category of;

Rom 13:7  Render to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honor to whom honor.

This is talking about the laws of the land, the governments, the enforcement people and everything else, and all of the regulations that come out of cities and counties and so on.  “…tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom…”   You may be familiar with someone who has as much as spit on this.   You don’t just have to obey the laws, it says you have to obey the customs too.

The Catholic Church is not the Presence of God Almighty. It is a customary, tradition bound custom of man. It represents about as much as getting a ticket to go to a show and having to do the customary thing which is to purchase the ticket.

The Public declaration and exchange of vows is the marriage requirement of God. God did not say who the public has to be neither did He restrict the number of times you make the declaration and neither did God determin that the public had to be those who have come out of Babylon either. If the best public you can get is Pagan, and the custom of that Paganistic tradition requires you to make public that you are married then okay. If they want you to become part of their cult, then they are going to disappointed!

As for your wife going to another ceremony to publically declare you are spouses, it may just be another excuse to celebrate and have a party,  if you decide to pay the customs dues to get your child in the school you desire for them.

You are already married in the eyes of God, just not in the blind eyes of the blind Catholic Church.

Arc

Arc

aqrinc

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 03:45:15 AM »

Although I always encourage my wife to give her inputs in making our decision, it still I that gives the "final verdict."   I have shared the knowledge to my wife on how the religion around us operates but she still has her inclination toward Catholic (for she is raised a catholic), and that this "church wedding" kind'a "thrills" her, so to speak.

It is really not easy to be a parent.  :-\

Mike,

Just an observation, your statement highlighted in red is brave, (final verdict huh)  ;D. Some unsolicited advise from one who can sleep with both eyes open, be very very careful about that repeating that in mixed company. ::)

george ;D

mhykx

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 05:41:06 AM »

What I'm anxious about this so called "mass wedding" is that during the ceremony, the priest (or group of priests) might initiate communion (i.e. partaking the wafer) just as they always do on a normal wedding!  And that I think I can't take.

George... ;D I see what you mean.  I don't usually brag my being head of the family openly.  My wife always concurs anyway (the crimson tide movie came to my mind...the XO concurs! aye aye captain!  ;D)

musicman

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 11:56:43 AM »

I have an idea.  Don't send your kid to a Catholic school.  Public schools are fine when they're not in the inner-city.

aqrinc

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 01:59:07 PM »

George...  I see what you mean.  I don't usually brag my being head of the family openly.  My wife always concurs anyway (the crimson tide movie came to my mind...the XO concurs! aye aye captain!  )

Carry on XO :-\; ROTFL  ;D

george ;D.

mhykx

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 06:55:02 PM »

I have an idea.  Don't send your kid to a Catholic school.  Public schools are fine when they're not in the inner-city.

Your input is appreciated Musicman.  In fact, sending our kids in public school has always been an option.  But the problem in public school here in Manila is that in one classroom there are more than 40 students whereas in catholic or private schools they limit the class size up to 25 students only.

Thank you so much for all your thoughts and suggestions guys!  In a week time or two my XO ;D and I will make the decision.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.