bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: David hated his enemy. And he's a man after God's own heart??  (Read 6927 times)

mhykx

I read this again.  And reread it.

Psalms 139

19 Surely thou wilt slay the wicked, O God: depart from me therefore, ye bloody men.
20 For they speak against thee wickedly, and thine enemies take thy name in vain.

David thought in his heart that those who speak against God are God's enemies.

21 Do not I hate them, O LORD, that hate thee? and am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee?
22 I hate them with perfect hatred: I count them mine enemies.

And he hated them those he thought that hate God.

23 Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:
24 And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

And he kind of contemplated himself, asking God to search his heart and his thoughts?  He seemed to be thinking that hating those who hate God is not wicked.

How could he be a/the man after God's own heart?

mharrell08

Re: David hated his enemy. And he's a man after God's own heart??
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 09:32:09 AM »

I read this again.  And reread it.

Psalms 139

19 Surely thou wilt slay the wicked, O God: depart from me therefore, ye bloody men.
20 For they speak against thee wickedly, and thine enemies take thy name in vain.

David thought in his heart that those who speak against God are God's enemies.

21 Do not I hate them, O LORD, that hate thee? and am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee?
22 I hate them with perfect hatred: I count them mine enemies.

And he hated them those he thought that hate God.

23 Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:
24 And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

And he kind of contemplated himself, asking God to search his heart and his thoughts?  He seemed to be thinking that hating those who hate God is not wicked.

How could he be a/the man after God's own heart?

1 Sam 13:13-14  And Samuel said to Saul, Thou hast done foolishly: thou hast not kept the commandment of the LORD thy God, which he commanded thee: for now would the LORD have established thy kingdom upon Israel for ever. But now thy kingdom shall not continue: the LORD hath sought him a man after his own heart, and the LORD hath commanded him to be captain over his people, because thou hast not kept that which the LORD commanded thee.

Well yes, the scriptures state that David is a man after God's heart...that is true. But, no scripture is it's own interpretation [2 Pet 1:20; Prov 1:6] and we are to have 2 or 3 spiritual matches/witnesses to establish any truth [Matt 18:16, 2 Cor 13:1; 1 Cor 2:13, Acts 15:15].

Being one after God's heart does not mean one is perfect but that one seeks to obey His commandments:

Num 15:39  ...remember all the commandments of the LORD, and do them ; and that ye seek not after your own heart and your own eyes, after which ye use to go a whoring[spiritual fornication/worshiping idols]

Prov 28:26  He that trusteth in his own heart is a fool: but whoso walketh wisely, he shall be delivered.

Acts 13:22  And when He had removed him, he raised up unto them David to be their king; to whom also he gave their testimony, and said, I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfil all my will.

Also, remember what the Lord states of the prophets of old:

Matt 11:11  Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist [including David, Soloman, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, etc]: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he [and none of them are in the kingdom...yet]

Heb 11:39-40  And these all [Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, David, etc], having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise: God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect.

Hope this helps,

Marques

Kat

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 10:53:36 AM »

Hi mhykx,

Here is a email that might help with your question.

http://bible-truths.com/email13.htm -----------------

What pray tell do you think the purpose of the law was, Trini, except to "REGULATE SIN AND THE SINNER?" By regulating sin and the sinner it showed sin to be "EXCEEDINGLY SINFUL" "...that sin by the COMMANDMENT might become EXCEEDING SINFUL" (Rom. 7;13).

Here is the purpose for the Law of Moses: 

"Knowing this, that THE LAW is not made for a righteous man, but for the LAWLESS, and DISOBEDIENT, for the UNGODLY and for SINNERS, for UNHOLY and PROFANE, for MURDERERS OF FATHERS and MURDERERS OF MOTHERS, for MANSLAYERS, for WHOREMONGERS, for them that DEFILE THEMSELVES WITH MANKIND, for MENSTEALERS, for LIARS, for PERJURED PERSONS, and if there by any other thing that is CONTRARY TO SOUND DOCTRINE; according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust" (I Tim. 1:9).

Unlike Christendom of today, I do not look to the Law of Moses to dictate to my conscience how I should live. The Law of Moses is NOT FOR A RIGHTEOUS MAN. According to the Old Covenant Law of Moses, one could LUST AFTER A WOMAN IN HIS HEART ALL HE WANTED TO, and there was no penalty!
v
v
David was "a man after God's own heart" in those areas that God caused him to be a man after His own heart. In all other areas David was as carnal as any man who ever lived. David was not spiritually converted. David DIED IN HIS SINS as an unforgiven murderer. The New Covenant teaches us that if one does not forgive, neither shall he be forgiven, if one hates in his heart, he is a murderer, and a murderer does NOT have eonian life abiding in him (I John 3:15). David's dying words were for his son to finish off those on his hit list, and to do it soon and to make it bloody! (I Kings 2:5-9).

It was LEGAL according to the Law of Moses to "hate ones enemies." And so David HATED HIS ENEMIES! But... BUT, Trini, are WE to hate our enemies under this New Covenant dispensation of the Spirit? 

"You have heard that it has been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbor, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, LOVE YOUR ENEMIES, BLESS them that curse you, DO GOOD to them that hate you, and PRAY for them which despitefully use you and persecute you."

Why? Why should we do THIS instead of doing what the Law of Moses said to do?

"THAT YE MAY BE THE CHILDREN OF YOUR FATHER WHICH IS IN HEAVEN..."

That's why! (Matt. 5:43, 44, & 45).
----------------------------------------------------

Mat 5:43  "You have heard that it was said, "You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.'
v. 44  But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you,
v. 45  that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 02:53:22 PM by Kat »

mhykx

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 11:41:28 AM »

This is just great.  Praise be to God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ!

I thought (as I was taught) or have the impression that the meaning of "after God's own heart" is something like so close to God that whatever the man does or thinks is acceptable to God.  I was undoubtedly wrong.

Thanks Marques and Kat for pointing me the answers.

cjwood

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 02:49:32 AM »

thanks kat for digging up that old email to ray. it spoke to my spirit in ways that i had not expected. so true are the words that God works in us to do of His good pleasure (even when we least expect it). Thank you God and Father for Your never ceasing Love for Your children, and thank You for the Spirit of Jesus Christ which You gave Him to give to us, knowing that we would indeed need a Comforter.

claudia

indianabob

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 01:28:46 AM »

Yes Kathy, thanks for the very helpful resource from Ray and for your own comments.
Things just seemed to fit the very questions I was reading at the time.
It is sssooo tempting to share this with folks who really need it and aren't yet ready to receive it.
So I'll keep it in my heart and mind for now.

I like to read your remarks and then write my thoughts and save them for rainy days.
The problems that I often have is that I forget to go to bed until my eyes start to burn from overuse.

Thanks again.  Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 20 queries.