bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Statute, Ordinance, Covenant, Testament, Commandment, and Law  (Read 8026 times)

mhykx

STATUTE
ORDINANCE
COVENANT
TESTAMENT
COMMANDMENT
LAW

Forgive this very trivial question but can anyone tell me the difference between them?

Thank you!

-Mike

judith collier

Re: Statute, Ordinance, Covenant, Testament, Commandment, and Law
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 05:16:44 AM »

No, I can't but what a cutie pie daughter!!! Judy

Marky Mark

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 11:38:14 AM »

STATUTE
ORDINANCE
COVENANT
TESTAMENT
COMMANDMENT
LAW

Forgive this very trivial question but can anyone tell me the difference between them?

Thank you!

-Mike

Mike, this may be of some help. :)

http://www.eliyah.com/lexicon.html

Peace...Mark

mharrell08

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 12:59:14 PM »

STATUTE
ORDINANCE
COVENANT
TESTAMENT
COMMANDMENT
LAW

Thank you!

-Mike

Hello Mike,

Your question is very broad seeing that these are only the translated words and not the original Hebrew & Greek. One Hebrew may be used for both statute & ordinance while another Hebrew word may be used just for one or the other.

You would want to use either a dictionary website. If your question is concerning usage in scripture, it would be good to use the link provided by Mark and then compare how the original Hebrew & Greek words are used, consistently, in translating these six words you inquire about.

For example, using e-sword alone, the word 'statute' is translated on 35 occasions in the OT using 3 different Hebrew words. Like I said, very broad question.  :)

Marques

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 01:40:54 PM »

ONE GIANT PARABLE 

The more I teach the more simple I’m going to make this Bible.  It’s all one thing.  You don’t have to know what all those words mean individually and in a technical way, I mean it’s good if you do, but you don’t have to.  The point is, before you have to know all that, I’ll show you what all these words mean.  Then if you want to take your time and study all of them out, you can.  But you'll already know, you say, ‘Ray how can I know what all those words mean if I don’t understand all the definitions of all of them?’  I’m going to show you (in future articles), and you’ll be amazed.  Because it’s like I’ve been saying for so long, all this, it’s all one thing.  I came up with this, maybe seven years ago, the Bible is one giant parable, so all you have to do is understand the one parable.

Jesus Christ taught many parables, we have about 40 in the Bible.  But there are many more that He taught that are not in there, probably hundreds of parables.  On one occasion He said how is it that you don’t understand this parable?  How then will you understand all parables?  (Mark 4:13).
Oh what a key that was!  You mean if I understand this one, I could understand the others too?  Well why is that?  Because they are all the same.  All the parables are the same parable, they are all the same.  Oh they come at it from different angles and so on. 

It’s like you go to the Grand Canyon, it’s all one canyon, you know.  You can take pictures at sunrise or at noonday or take pictures at sunset.  You can go down into it with the mules or you can go from the edge or you can go from the north side or the west side or from a airplane or helicopter.  Now they even have a glass bottom floor, where you can walk out and look straight down. 
But it’s all the same Grand Canyon, is it not.  So you can view it from many different angles.  Once you become familiar with the Grand Canyon, you can look at pictures from a helicopter or from this end or that end, from the bottom looking up or from the top looking down and you will know that it’s the Grand Canyon.  Even if all the pictures are angled differently and there’s different lighting, you’ll still know it’s the grand canyon. 

So the more we study this Word of God, the more we see it’s all one thing.  There is one giant parable and it is this.

Gen 1:26  “And God said, Let Us be making man in Our image…”

There it is! 
You know the teaching is, that that has already happened.  No it didn’t!  That is why they don’t understand the Bible, because it didn’t happen back then.  Only the physical aspect was back then. 
First the physical then the spiritual, that’s the principle.  If you don’t believe that principle, how can you believe the Bible?  Why do you think the Bible teaches principles, if they aren’t true.  If it is true, why don’t you believe it?  Does the physical come first and then the spiritual?  Yes it does.  That’s the principle of God and so He’s making man into God’s image.  Are we spirit?  No.  Is God spirit?  Yes.  Well if He is making us into HIS image, don’t you think this stinking, rotten, carnal minded body is going to have to change, if we are going to be made into His image?  We know it hasn’t happened yet.  That’s why people kill each other and hate each other and all the misery and stuff we have among society, because they are not in His image.  These people are not in the image of God!  But one day they will be. 

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,5312.0.html

Marky Mark

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 02:59:37 PM »

Here are a few more words that Ray expounds on in the LOF series, A must read. ;)

http://bible-truths.com/lake16-D4.htm

GEHENNA FIRE JUDGMENT
[Gehenna Judgment Begins with God's Elect]

Installment XVI, Part D-4

JUDGMENT AS DEFINED BY SCRIPTURE IS GOOD

Here are some examples of the many difficult words we find in Scripture:

repentance, transgression, condemnation, damnation, remission, propitiation, reconciliation, justification, indignation, reformation, rebirth, restitution, regeneration, confirmation, transformation, tribulation, exhortation, admonition, edification, supplication, intercession, consolation, predestination, conversation, sanctification, redemption, salvation

...whoooooa! Words, words, so many words. Why so many difficult words?

Peace...Mark

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 03:34:38 PM »

Good catch Marky! :)

mhykx

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 04:23:19 AM »

OK, I'll the change the question a bit.

If the Commandment (the Ten) is part of the Law (Torah), why is it then carnal if it is part of something that is spiritual?

aqrinc

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 05:05:42 AM »

Hi Mike,

The Law Is Spiritual (ALL The LAW).

When we go about keeping the physical shadow of the Law, and fail even there; then we can see that we are carnal.

Rom 7: 7-14 (KJV)
7  What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.
8  But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.
9  For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.
10  And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.
11  For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.
12  Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.
13  Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.
14  For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

george. ;D

mharrell08

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 10:19:06 AM »

OK, I'll the change the question a bit.

If the Commandment (the Ten) is part of the Law (Torah), why is it then carnal if it is part of something that is spiritual?

Excerpt from LOF Part 15-A (http://bible-truths.com/lake15.html):

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS ARE NOT SPIRITUAL

It is believed by most that the Ten Commandments, if followed by everyone, would eliminate all of the problems of the world. Did you know that it is possible to keep ALL of the ten commandments without having the spirit of God or without being spiritually converted? 'Tis true. Here are the commandments:

You shall have none other gods before Me,
You shall not make you any graven image…,"
You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain…,"
Keep the Sabbath day to sanctify it…,"
Honor your father and your mother…,"
You shall not kill [murder],
Neither shall you commit adultery,
Neither shall you steal
Neither shall you bear false witness against your neighbor,
Neither shall you covet…

Yes, even unaided by the Holy Spirit of God it is possible to keep these commandments of God. And the proof of this is simple: The penalty for breaking any of these commandments was death, and yet, most in Israel were not stoned to death for breaking these commandments. All of these commandments are referred to as "carnal commandments" in the New Testament (Heb. 7:16). They do not require a converted spiritual heart to keep and obey.

There was ONE commandment, however, that was of a spiritual nature. It had to do with the desires and inclination of the heart. It was the 10th commandment:

"Neither shall you desire [covet] your neighbor’s wife… house… field… manservant… maidservant… ox… a@@… or any thing that is your neighbor’s" (Deut. 5:7-21).

However, was anyone ever stoned in ancient Israel for coveting any thing that belonged to his neighbor? No. Never. One could "covet" anything he wanted all day long, just so long as he didn’t break any of the other nine commandments!

One could "covet" his neighbor’s wife, just as long as he didn’t commit adultery with her—for that he would be stoned to death.

One could "covet" his neighbor’s ox, just so long as he didn’t steal it—for that he would be stoned to death.

Oh "coveting" was a sin all right, but since it cannot be detected by man unless it eventuates into stealing or the like, no penalty was enforced on such an one. However, to Paul, it was this commandment that proved to him that his heart was not right with God even though he performed all the visible and outward duties of the law:

"…for I had not known [Gk: ‘would not have known’] lust, except the law had said, "Thou shalt not covet" (Rom. 7:7).

So lusting and coveting that which is not legal, is a sin, but it carried no penalty in Ancient Israel. But before a man ever steals, or ever commits adultery with another man’s wife, he first covets, and that is a sin and the precursor to additional sins. But is it man's will that does the coveting? Can man's will, will NOT to covet? Is man's "will" the problem? No, no, it is NOT.

Excerpt from LOF #16-D3 (http://bible-truths.com/lake16-D3.htm):

Here is another:

"Ye have heard that it has been said, You shall love your neighbor, and hate your enemy. But I say unto you, love your enemies..." (Matt. 5:43-44).

Some time ago when I began to really study verses 20 to 45, instead of taking someone else's interpretation, I found that I was wrong to assume that Jesus is contradicting portions of the Law of Moses or teaching contrary to it.

Ask yourself: Are those "circumcised in heart" really breaking God's Commandment if they are not "circumcised in flesh?" I don't think so and neither do the Scriptures.

Are present day Gentile Believers really breaking God's command to sacrifice animals to atone for their sins if they rather spiritually accept the Sacrifice of Jesus Christ Himself on the cross? I don't think so, and neither do the Scriptures.

Are Believers today breaking the tithing law if they rather "present themselves a living sacrifice," and always are willing to "lay in store as God has prospered them" (I Cor. 16:2) their money, time and talents to serve others? I don't think so, and neither do the Scriptures.

Are Believers today breaking the Sabbath day command if they do not set aside the seventh day to physically rest, but rather have set aside all days as a spiritual rest (Heb. 4)? I don't think so, and neither do the Scriptures.

Likewise, Jesus is not contradicting the Law of Moses in these few examples in His Sermon on the Mount.

We need to really understand and know as Paul did when he said: "For we KNOW that THE LAW IS SPIRITUAL..." (Rom. 7:14). And just how did Paul "know" this? Because of the 10th commandment of the Ten Commandments which were the main part of the Law of Moses, and the Old Covenant (Deut. 4:13). "...Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law [what law?]: for I had not known lust, except the law [which law?] had said, 'THOU SHALT NOT COVET'" (Rom. 7:7). Oh THAT law. That would be the 10th commandment of the Ten Commandments (Ex. 20:17).

Of course I have said and have written for many years now that the Ten Commandments of God are spiritual. And I have explained that it is this 10th commandment that is the absolute proof. The 7th commandment already said to not commit adultery, and the 8th commandment already said to not steal, but then the last and 10th commandment says in effect, "...and don't even THINK about it!"

Isn't this exactly what Jesus is teaching when He says that the commandment said to not commit adultery, be He then said we are not to even THINK ABOUT lusting after another woman with impure sexual thoughts?

This whole Sermon on the Mount is Christ's teaching on how to live an exceedingly higher level of morality and righteousness than was taught before, and the accompanying Judgments if one does not live up to these standards.

Paul taught:

"Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster" (Gal. 3:24-25).

The law was like elementary school, whereas living by faith in Christ is more like high school or college.

Is not elementary school necessary before high school? Most elementary students cannot do high school or college work. Do high school and college teachers contradict the math, grammar, and science that was learned in elementary school. No, of course not, and so neither does Jesus CONTRADICT the lessons of the Law of Moses which brought us to Him. We never contradict 2 + 2 = 4 when we get to high school, but we do move onto higher math and do not continue re-laying the foundation of these subjects already established back in elementary school.

We will now turn to the Sermon on the Mount and see if we are able to learn a little "new [spiritual] math."

Lets be clear on one thing before we enter this study. You will find the phrase, New Covenant, New Testament, and New Commandment in the Greek Scriptures, But you will not find the phrase "New LAW" anywhere. There are "new commandments" regarding that law, the but law is the same, as it is "spiritual" and therefore is not "temporal" (II Cor. 4:18).

And let me make this perfectly clear. In the Old Covenant Law, we read this:

"...you shall love your neighbor as yourself" (Lev. 19:18 & Matt. 5:43, 19:19, 22:39, etc.)

The apostle John informs us that this commandment is not new:

"And now I beseech you, lady, not as though I wrote a new commandment unto you, but that which we had from the beginning, that we should love one another" (II John 1:5).

But John also knew that Jesus did add something to this commandment:

"And this is HIS commandment, that we should believe on the Name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, AS He gave us commandment" (I John 3:23).

Well was there something different about this commandment from the Old Covenant Law and "AS" Jesus commanded it? Yes there was. A new Law? No. A contradictory Law? No. Well what then was different from the way Jesus taught and kept this commandment to "love your neighbor?"

Here it is, simply and profoundly: "A NEW commandment I give unto you, That you love one another [same as the Old Commandment, right? No, here is were the new "AS" part comes in...] ...That you love one another AS I HAVE LOVED YOU, that you also love one another" (John 13:34). Now that brings a whole lot more meaning to the "old" commandment which they had from the beginning. Loving "AS" Jesus loved, is a whole new ball game, as they say.

There was and is nothing wrong with the Law of Moses. God calls it "MY law."

The problem was never with the Law, but with the people:

"O that there were such an HEART in them, that they would fear Me, and keep all My commandments always..." (Deut. 5:29).

The problem was never with God's Law, but with the peoples' heart-they were carnal, and when one is carnal, he cannot keep a "spiritual" law:

"For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be" (Rom. 8:6-7).

And here is absolutely proof that there needed a change in the Covenant, not in the LAW OF THE COVENANT:

"For if that first covenant ['covenant,' not law] had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second. For FINDING FAULT WITH THEM, He said, Behold, the days come, says the Lord, when I will make a NEW COVENANT [not a New Law] with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah... For this is the covenant that I will make... I will put my LAWS [same old laws-but new covenant] into their MIND, AND WRITE THEM IN THEIR HEARTS..." (Heb. 8:7-9).

There it is!

The New makes alive and ends in "eternal [eonian-immortal] LIFE."

"Who also has made us able ministers of the NEW Testament; not of the letter, but of the SPIRIT: for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives LIFE" (II Cor. 3:6).

This along with the blood sacrifice of Jesus IS the New Covenant; the Gospel; the Kingdom of God.

The Old letter of the law was glorious, but the newly applied Spirit of the law does "much more exceed in glory" (II Cor. 3:9). The Old Covenant law was how God's people were judged under Moses: the New Covenant law is how God's chosen Elect will be judged under Jesus.

Marques

cjwood

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 05:23:01 PM »

how absolutely awe inspiring it is to watch our Father's hand at work, as HE causes mike to ask the questions in this thread and then HE supplies the proof of the Truth from His Scriptures, using mark, and george, and arcturus, and marques to bring forth out of the abundance of what ray has dug deep, deep, deep to find exposing the most brilliant of gems of His Heart and Spirit, revealing to us our Savior, the Testament of a new Commandent of Love and belief in His Name. that Name above all other Names, Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior, bringing forth a new Way of Life for all who believe.

Praise to God Almighty, our Father!!!!!

claudia
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 23 queries.