bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: I want to play guitar  (Read 17186 times)

EKnight

I want to play guitar
« on: April 15, 2009, 08:56:39 PM »

I want to learn to play guitar.  I have no knowledge of notes or anything and I am aging quickly.  Do you think its too late?  I just want to sing and play acoustic guitar.  One of my sons plays drums the other plays guitar (electric) and they both taught themselves. My daughter can sing.  All this musical talent does NOT come from my husband.  So maybe I have a chance? 

what do you think?

Eileen

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
Re: I want to play guitar
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 09:07:09 PM »

what do you think?

Your too old for American Idol. ;) ;D

Craig

EKnight

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 09:45:53 PM »

Yeah, would never have had the nerve to perform in front of an audience any way.  :P :P

Eileen

Linny

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 12:19:33 AM »

I think that the ability to learn comes out of the desire to learn.
If you really want to learn something new, then you can't be too old to do it!
Heck, I've learned more about who God and Jesus are this year in my 40's than the rest of my life put together!

Samson

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 12:47:22 AM »

I want to learn to play guitar.  I have no knowledge of notes or anything and I am aging quickly.  Do you think its too late?  I just want to sing and play acoustic guitar.  One of my sons plays drums the other plays guitar (electric) and they both taught themselves. My daughter can sing.  All this musical talent does NOT come from my husband.  So maybe I have a chance? 

what do you think?

Eileen

Hi Eileen,

I guess it doesn't really matter What I think or someone else thinks. Whats important is how you think
             and feel about it. You have the desire, now only if you have the time available or are willing to make
             and take the time. If I was going to learn an instrument, it would probably be the guitar, also. Talents
             seem to be of a genetic predisposition, at least to some extent. My oldest Daughter is very artistically
             talented, but she didn't get this from my Ex-Wife or me, however it could be from my Mother who had
             some talent in this area.

If you have the desire, then go for it, especially if you think you might enjoy it. Good Luck and may the
             force be with you.  ;)

Kind Regards, Samson.

Ninny

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 12:47:53 AM »

Hey, don't you know it, you CAN teach an old dog new tricks!!  ;)
So go for it, girl! Get that guitar and play! Learn 3 Chords and you can sing lots of stuff!!  ;D
I know, all you musicians out there..but, hey, she didn't say she wanted to join a band she just want to play the guitar!! ;)
Kathy :)

EKnight

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 01:06:39 AM »

I found a site online that teaches guitar.  So far I have learned the parts of the guitar and "tabs".  I tried to play "mary had a little lamb" and it didn't sound anything like it.  >:(  I am hoping the guitar needs tuning  ??? ???

Eileen

jassy

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 05:50:52 AM »

Hi Eileen

Wanted to send personal message but do not have a clue how unless someone sends me one. Its not you who have this desire, but the Holy Spirit prompting you. There is a creativity inside of each and everyone of us, be it art, music, writing, whatever. It has nothing to do with age or ability.
If you throw your heart into whatever you want to do the creativity of God flows through you and you will bring a uniqueness to the medium that no one else on this planet can bring.
Maby you will never be lauded in this world or have your name in neon lights but who cares. You will bring joy to yourself, joy to whoever God sends your way and most importantly, Joy to God who takes pleasure in the endeavours of His children.
PS.
Use methylated spirits to toughen your fingertips, and practise the blooming thing everyday no matter what Mary with her lamb sounds like. 

Astrapho

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 07:14:03 AM »

If you throw your heart into whatever you want to do the creativity of God flows through you and you will bring a uniqueness to the medium that no one else on this planet can bring.

Yep, awesomely put. ;D

Since you can now read tabs and things, there is this small useful program, basically a chord dictionary, with virtually all the guitar chords packed into it. :) It's great to use as reference every time you forget the chords or wanna add a new one to your repertoire. ;D Pretty user friendly too. Only knowledge you need is your CDEFGABC, haha. :)

http://www.subjectmusic.com/easychord/

Amrhrasach

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 12:25:59 PM »

Do you think its too late?   So maybe I have a chance? 

what do you think?

Eileen

Eileen,

It's NEVER too late so yes you have a chance.   If you want it you can do it.   I learned the guitar, dobro and mandolin at an early age out of a sheer sense of being curious to know how and the only person in my family who could play music was my great-grandfather who could play the strings off of a mandolin, so I've been told by my grandfather.  Other than that I never knew where the desire or intensity came from.    So do it.   

A good way to learn these days is to purchase a dvd that will caption the lessons in split screen and show up close and slow motion all things being taught.  I wish that method would have been available back in my day of learning.

Here's a couple of sites that may help in that area.

http://books-videos-music.musiciansfriend.com/learn-to-play
http://elderly.com/videos/cats/911.htm

Good luck,
Gary

jg

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 02:06:34 PM »

Hey you!  Go for it! 

At the risk of offending people here who can actually read music I'll say this.  You don't have to know how to read music to learn to play.  You should have some knowledge of the basic scale and which chords go together  in order to play a simple song.  As someone else said, learn 3 chords and you can play a lot of stuff.

check this out.  Below is a list of "chords"  A chord, B chord, C chord etc....

A B C D E F G     (There is no H chord, or H note in music,,so dont think past G)

Now, I'll assign numbers to each chord...the corresponding number is above each chord.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
A B C D E F G

Note; So, A=1,,,,B=2 etc. etc.

The 3 chords that go together to play a simple song are always going to be 1, 4, and 5, no matter what key you're playing in...or in this case, since A=1 it's A, D and E......So, you're playing this song in the key of A.  So A equals the number 1.

Now, lets say you wanted to play the same song in the key of G instead of the key of A.  Just make G number one chord and list the rest of the chords in numerical order after the letter G,, 
G becomes the number 1, and since there is no "H" chord in music, for the next chord you'd go back to the beginning of the scale. So A would come next after G. 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
G A B C D E F

G chord becomes the numer one chord.....
Remember; the three numbers you need to play the basic song are 1, 4 and 5 right?

So to play the song in G chord, you'll need numbers 1, 4, and 5,,,,,or G, C, and D...

Here's the cool part of all this, no matter what key you want to play the song, just make your main, or first chord equal the number one, then list the next letter of the alphabet next as your number 2 chord and so on.

Here's the same thing if I wanted to play the same song in "E" chord...

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
E F G A B C D

So, the three chords I'd need to play the song are 1, 4, 5,,,, or in this case, E,,,A,,,and B...

You can do the same thing for any key. 
Sometimes you'll try to sing along with your guitar, only to find that the key you're playing in is just to high or low for your voice to sing best.  So, that's when you have to change KEYS, or chords. 

That's why you need to know this number system.  When you change keys, you change which 3 chords you need to play the song. 
Note; the numbers never change, only the chords under the numbers. 

Try fooling around with this, let me know if you don't understand it and I'll try to explain further.

Even studio musicians use this number system to see a "Chord Chart" of a particular song.

Like; In 2/4 time:   Each measure of music equals two beats. You'd count, "ONE TWO, ONE TWO" etc.

1114 1151

Each number represents a chord, strummed each time as you count the first beat of a measure of time in the song.  Every time you count ONE, you strum that chord,or number depending on what key you're playing in.

So, 1114 from above actually means that on ONE of every measure, you play the choresponding chord. 

1                1              1              4
 ONE  TWO  ONE  TWO  ONE  TWO  ONE  TWO   

That might be more than you want to learn right now, but just work on the number/chord system to you can choose any key you want and automacilly know which 3 chords to use to play your simple song.

Joe

Marky Mark

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 04:13:56 PM »

Hi Eileen

Wanted to send personal message but do not have a clue how unless someone sends me one. Its not you who have this desire, but the Holy Spirit prompting you. There is a creativity inside of each and everyone of us, be it art, music, writing, whatever. It has nothing to do with age or ability.
Maby you will never be lauded in this world or have your name in neon lights but who cares. You will bring joy to yourself, joy to whoever God sends your way and most importantly, Joy to God who takes pleasure in the endeavours of His children.
PS.
Use methylated spirits to toughen your fingertips, and practise the blooming thing everyday no matter what Mary with her lamb sounds like. 
Wanted to send personal message but do not have a clue how unless someone sends me one.

Jassy,maybe this will be of some help :)

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,4618.0.html

Peace...Mark

Ninny

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 05:05:37 PM »

Hey Joe, that's cool! That's what I was taking about you said it better than I! Playing 3 chords is easy!
Oh I never thought about the numbering system, though! I always just know that you can use A-D-E together or G-C-D etc. but the numbering would be SO much easier!! See?? You're never too old to learn something new!! Gettin' out my pencil, now... 8)
Kathy ;)

jassy

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 05:39:05 PM »

Jassy,maybe this will be of some help :)

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,4618.0.html

Peace...Mark

Thanks Mark, much appreciated.

bluzman

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 06:46:40 PM »

The guitar is not the easiest instrument to learn on, as a small key board perhaps. If that is what you want though, then go for it!
Joe's info is just like gold, and I wish that I had known what he posted when I started to learn (40 years and counting).
Some one asked Hank Williams why he used only three cords, I believe he said "cause that's all there is."
You've been given lots of good advice and if there is anything that I can help you with just let me know.
Ches

EKnight

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2009, 07:19:39 PM »

You guys are the best!!!!  So encouraging and so much useful information.  I colleague at work is going to lend me a disk she has for learning guitar.  She told me the same thing about only needing to learn a few cords to be able to play a lot of songs. 

I will let you know how I progress.  I hope I have the patience and sticktuitiveness to follow through.  :) :) :) :)

Eileen

EKnight

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 08:53:21 PM »

I hope it's ok to put on link here.  I found proof that there is hope for me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY

Eileen

meee

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2009, 08:56:57 PM »

All this talk of playing the guitar, starts me thinking again about trying to learn the Harmonica. I've had this yearning to learn it and had started a few years ago, but then I shattered my wrist and haven't gotten back at it.  I just love the Harmonica!!!
         Eileen, you can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!          
                                  hugs & luv,meee

EKnight

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2009, 09:01:12 PM »

Hi mee,

My daughter wants to play harmonica.  Soon we will be the Partridge family!!!

Eileen

meee

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2009, 09:07:41 PM »

Wow Eileen , that wouldn't be so bad at all!!!!! ;)
                     My Mother used to play piano and could paint portraits, but I didn't inherit any of her talent. My playing will be for my fun and pleasure only.
                      meee

Quote from: EKnight

link=topic=9777.msg82919#msg82919 date=1239922872
Hi mee,

My daughter wants to play harmonica.  Soon we will be the Partridge family!!!

Eileen
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.