bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Psalm 55:15  (Read 4376 times)

EKnight

Psalm 55:15
« on: April 22, 2009, 12:31:18 AM »

Could someone tell me what alive means in this verse?

15 Let death come deceitfully upon them; Let them go down alive to Sheol, For evil is in their dwelling, in their midst.

The word is quick in KJV. 

15 Let deathH4194 seizeH5377 uponH5921 them, and let them go downH3381 quickH2416 into hell:H7585 forH3588 wickednessH7451 is in their dwellings,H4033 and amongH7130 them.

H2416-From H2421; alive; hence raw (flesh); fresh (plant, water, year), strong; also (as noun, especially in the feminine singular and masculine plural) life (or living thing), whether literally or figuratively: - + age, alive, appetite, (wild) beast, company, congregation, life (-time), live (-ly), living (creature, thing), maintenance, + merry, multitude, + (be) old, quick, raw, running, springing, troop.

H2421-A prim root (compare H2331, H2424); to live, whether literally or figuratively; causatively to revive: - keep (leave, make) alive, X certainly, give (promise) life, (let, suffer to) live, nourish up, preserve (alive), quicken, recover, repair, restore (to life), revive, (X God) save (alive, life, lives), X surely, be whole.

There are a lot of definitions here so I am not sure which one the bold typed words are referring to. 

Eileen

Kat

Re: Psalm 55:15
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 01:15:09 AM »

Hi Eileen,

This is David speaking and as we can see from verse 3 he is praying about his enemy.

Psa 55:3  Because of the voice of the enemy,
       Because of the oppression of the wicked;
       For they bring down trouble upon me,
       And in wrath they hate me.

In verse 15 I think he is simply saying to cover his enemy up in a grave while they are still alive.  That's just his harsh way of saying he wants them immediately gone and dead in the grave.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

kenny

Re: Psalm 55:15
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 09:39:50 AM »

Could someone tell me what alive means in this verse?

15 Let death come deceitfully upon them; Let them go down alive to Sheol, For evil is in their dwelling, in their midst.

The word is quick in KJV. 

15 Let deathH4194 seizeH5377 uponH5921 them, and let them go downH3381 quickH2416 into hell:H7585 forH3588 wickednessH7451 is in their dwellings,H4033 and amongH7130 them.

H2416-From H2421; alive; hence raw (flesh); fresh (plant, water, year), strong; also (as noun, especially in the feminine singular and masculine plural) life (or living thing), whether literally or figuratively: - + age, alive, appetite, (wild) beast, company, congregation, life (-time), live (-ly), living (creature, thing), maintenance, + merry, multitude, + (be) old, quick, raw, running, springing, troop.

H2421-A prim root (compare H2331, H2424); to live, whether literally or figuratively; causatively to revive: - keep (leave, make) alive, X certainly, give (promise) life, (let, suffer to) live, nourish up, preserve (alive), quicken, recover, repair, restore (to life), revive, (X God) save (alive, life, lives), X surely, be whole.

There are a lot of definitions here so I am not sure which one the bold typed words are referring to. 

Eileen

Eileen Some times when i don't  understand a word and the definitions don't line it up for me i use the Root Word (Etymology)
in this case the root word from H7592
1) to ask, enquire, borrow, beg

a) (Qal)

1) to ask, ask for

2) to ask (as a favour), borrow

3) to enquire, enquire of

4) to enquire of, consult (of deity, oracle)

5) to seek

b) (Niphal) to ask for oneself, ask leave of absence

c) (Piel)

1) to enquire, enquire carefully

2) to beg, practise beggary

d) (Hiphil)

1) to be given on request

2) to grant, make over to, let (one) ask (successfully) or give or lend on request (then) grant or make over to

Kats statment is right on the mark, David was asking, for the immediate removal from, this life to the grave, you might even say he was begging God just a little, some times i catch myself begging with my asking

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 17 queries.