bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hebrews 6:13-20 esp. 15  (Read 5089 times)

lferretj

Hebrews 6:13-20 esp. 15
« on: May 01, 2009, 08:15:47 PM »

Does anyone have the concordant version of these verses, I see it uses the aorist tense and the second aorist tense in v. 15 but don't have e-sword yet as my computer crashes evertime I update it or download a new program.  I came across it while doing a study on how the word "promise" is used in the old and new testaments.  Any other helpful verses would be nice also.  Thanks.

lferretj

PS. I've been reading the discussions and enjoy them all, even if I don't contribute much.  Thanks to all who answer the questions presented on the forum, I find a lot of wisdom here.

aqrinc

Re: Hebrews 6:13-20 esp. 15
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 08:22:12 PM »

Hi lferretj,

Hope this is what you are looking for.

Heb 6:13 For God, promising Abraham, since He had no one greater to swear by, swears by Himself,
Heb 6:14 saying, "If, in sooth, it is blessing, I shall be blessing you, and multiplying, I shall be multiplyingyou!"
Heb 6:15 And thus, being patient, he happened on the promise."
Heb 6:16 For men are swearing by a greater, and to them an oath for confirmation is an end of all contradiction,
Heb 6:17 in which God, intending more superabundantly to exhibit to the enjoyers of the allotment of the promise the immutability of His counsel, interposes with an oath,
Heb 6:18 that by two immutable matters, in which it is impossible for God to lie, we may have a strong consolation, who are fleeing for refuge to lay hold of the expectation lying before us,
Heb 6:19 which we have as an anchor of the soul, both secure and confirmed, and entering into the interior beyond the curtain,
Heb 6:20 where the Forerunner, Jesus, entered for our sakes, becoming Chief Priest according to the order of Melchizedek for the eon."

george. :)

Ps. You just raised a hornets nest with that request. Now when reading The CLV, i just noticed that so far most of what i have read is in the (greek) aorist tense. Lights are coming on all over the place right now.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 08:34:52 PM by aqr »

meee

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 08:51:46 PM »

Hi, here they are from the Rotherham's EB,
Heb 6:12 In order that, not slothful, ye may become, but imitators of them who, through faith and patience, were becoming heirs of the promises.
Heb 6:13 For, when to Abraham God made promise, seeing he had no one greater by whom to swear, He sware, by himself, -
Heb 6:14 saying - Truly, if blessing I will bless thee, and, multiplying, I will multiply thee;
Heb 6:15 And, thus, being patient, he attained unto the promise.
Heb 6:16 For, men, by the greater one, swear, and, with them, an end of all gainsaying by way of confirmation is, the oath:
Heb 6:17 Wherein God, being, more abundantly disposed to shew forth unto the heirs of the promise the unchangeableness of his counsel, mediated, with an oath, -
Heb 6:18 In order that, through means of two unchangeable things, in which it was impossible for God to make himself false, a mighty consolation, we might have, who have fled along to grasp, the fore-lying hope,
Heb 6:19 Which we have, as an anchor of the soul, both secure and firm, and entering into the interior of the veil:
Heb 6:20 Where a forerunner in our behalf hath entered, even Jesus, who, according to the rank of Melchizedek, hath become, a high-priest unto times age-abiding.
Below is the word promise in verse 15 from the KJV:

From the Strong'sG1860
ἐπαγγελία
epaggelia
ep-ang-el-ee'-ah
From G1861; an announcement (for information, assent or pledge; especially a divine assurance of good): - message, promise.
meee

lferretj

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 08:59:30 PM »

Thank you george and mee for the quick reply, I was wondering why Hebrews wasn't making much sense to me.  The KJV version seems to contradict itself all over the place by not using the correct tenses.  Anyway I'm still struggling with what exactly v. 15 is saying.  Can anyone explain a little better what "he happened on the promise" or "he attained unto the promise" means. I wonder if "happened" is the best word to be used.  Anyway I'm contrasting this verse with Hebrews 11:13 "These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off were assured of them,[c] embraced them and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth." KJV  Just trying to make sense of it all.  It almost reads as if Abraham was said to receive the promise in v. 15 but not receive them in 11:13.  If my thinking is correct, correct if i'm wrong now, but it seems that by patiently enduring Abraham won the race so to speak and so can now look forward to the promises.  Does this sound correct. I may not be articulating it the best manner so bear with me.
         lferretj

aqrinc

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 09:47:45 PM »

This should clear up some confusion of translation, let me know if it helps.

Hebrews: 11: 1-40 (CLV)

Heb 11:1 Now faith is an assumption of what is being expected, a conviction concerning matters which are not being observed;"
Heb 11:2 for in this the elders were testified to.
Heb 11:3 By faith we are apprehending the eons to adjust to a declaration of God, so that what is being observed has not come out of what is appearing."
Heb 11:4 By faith Abel offers to God more of a sacrifice than Cain, through which he was testified to that he is just at God's testifying to his approach presents, and through it, dying, he is still speaking."
Heb 11:5 By faith Enoch was transferred, so as not to be acquainted with death, and was not found, because God transfers him. For before his transference he is attested to have pleased God well."
Heb 11:6 Now apart from faith it is impossible to be well pleasing, for he who is coming to God must believe that He is, and is becoming a Rewarder of those who are seeking Him out."
Heb 11:7 By faith Noah, being apprized concerning that which is not as yet being observed, being pious, constructs an ark for the salvation of his house, through which he condemns the world, and became an enjoyer of the allotment of the righteousness which accords with faith."
Heb 11:8 By faith Abraham, being called, obeys, coming out into the place which he was about to obtain to enjoy as an allotment, and came out, not versed in where he is coming."
Heb 11:9 By faith he sojourns in the land of promise as in an alien land, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the joint enjoyers of the allotment of the same promise. "
Heb 11:10 For he waited for the city having foundations, whose Artificer and Architect is God. "
Heb 11:11 By faith Sarah herself also obtained power for the disruption of seed, and brought forth beyond the period of her prime, since she deems the Promiser faithful;"
Heb 11:12 wherefore, also, were begotten by one, and these of one who is deadened, according as the constellations of heaven in multitude, and as the sand beside the sea shore innumerable."
Heb 11:13 In faith died all these, not being requited with the promises, but perceiving them ahead and saluting them, and avowing that they are strangers and expatriates on the earth. "
Heb 11:14 For those who are saying such things are disclosing that they are seeking for a country of their own.
Heb 11:15 And, if, indeed, they remembered that from which they came out, they might have had occasion to go back."
Heb 11:16 Yet now they are craving a better, that is, a celestial; wherefore God is not ashamed of them, to be invoked as their God, for He makes ready for them a city."
Heb 11:17 By faith Abraham, when undergoing trial, has offered Isaac, and he who receives the promises offered the only-begotten,
Heb 11:18 he to whom it was spoken that "In Isaac shall your seed be called,
Heb 11:19 reckoning that God is able to be rousing him from among the dead also; whence he recovers him in a parable also.
Heb 11:20 By faith Isaac blesses Jacob and Esau concerning that which is impending also.
Heb 11:21 By faith Jacob, when dying, blesses each of the sons of Joseph, and worships, leaning on the top of his staff."
Heb 11:22 By faith Joseph, at his decease, remembers concerning the exodus of the sons of Israel, and gives directions concerning his bones."
Heb 11:23 By faith Moses, being born, was hid three months by his fathers, because they perceived that the little boy was handsome, and they were not afraid of the mandate or the king."
Heb 11:24 By faith Moses, becoming great, disowns the term "son of Pharaoh's daughter,
Heb 11:25 preferring rather to be maltreated with the people of God than to have a temporary enjoyment of sin,
Heb 11:26 deeming the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures of Egypt, for he looked away to the reward."
Heb 11:27 By faith he left Egypt, not being afraid of the fury of the king, for he is staunch as seeing the Invisible."
Heb 11:28 By faith he has the passover made and the pouring of blood against the door jambs, lest the exterminator of the first-born may come into contact with them."
Heb 11:29 By faith they crossed the Red Sea as through dry land, attempting which, the Egyptians were swallowed up."
Heb 11:30 By faith the walls of Jericho fall, being surrounded on seven days."
Heb 11:31 By faith Rahab, the prostitute, perished not with the stubborn, receiving the spies with peace."
Heb 11:32 And what still may I be saying? For the time will be lacking for me to relate concerning Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, David, besides Samuel also, and the prophets,
Heb 11:33 who, through faith, subdue kingdoms, work righteousness, happened on promises, bar the mouths of lions,
Heb 11:34 quench the power of fire, fled from the edge of the sword, were invigorated from infirmity, became strong in battle, rout the camps of aliens,
Heb 11:35 women obtained their dead by resurrection. Now others are flogged, not anticipating deliverance, that they may be happening upon a better resurrection."
Heb 11:36 Yet others got a trial of scoffings and scourgings, yet still more of bonds and jail."
Heb 11:37 They are stoned, they are sawn, they are tried, they died, murdered by the sword; they wandered about in sheepskins, in goatskins, in want, afflicted, maltreated"
Heb 11:38 (of whom the world was not worthy), straying in wildernesses and mountains and caves and the holes of the earth."
Heb 11:39 And these all, being testified to through faith, are not requited with the promise of God concerning us"
Heb 11:40 (the looking forward is to something better), that, apart from us, they may not be perfected.

lferretj

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 12:52:50 AM »

Thank you george, I've read it over once so far and get a clearer picture, a few more reads through and some meditation should help me in this area.  Thanks for not just giving an answer and letting me think it through. I should really get me a concordant version to study.
     lferretj

aqrinc

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 01:55:52 AM »

lferretj,

Give a Woman a Fish? or hand over the keys GOD Gives us; Thank GOD only for everything.

mharrell08

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 09:56:00 AM »

Thank you george and mee for the quick reply, I was wondering why Hebrews wasn't making much sense to me.  The KJV version seems to contradict itself all over the place by not using the correct tenses.  Anyway I'm still struggling with what exactly v. 15 is saying.  Can anyone explain a little better what "he happened on the promise" or "he attained unto the promise" means. I wonder if "happened" is the best word to be used.  Anyway I'm contrasting this verse with Hebrews 11:13 "These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off were assured of them,[c] embraced them and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth." KJV  Just trying to make sense of it all.  It almost reads as if Abraham was said to receive the promise in v. 15 but not receive them in 11:13.  If my thinking is correct, correct if i'm wrong now, but it seems that by patiently enduring Abraham won the race so to speak and so can now look forward to the promises.  Does this sound correct. I may not be articulating it the best manner so bear with me.
         lferretj

Lferretj,

The promise that is mentioned in Hebrews 6 is 'blessing and multiplying thee'...the promise talked about in Hebrews 11 is speaking of the Kingdom of God. Abraham was blessed and his seed was multiplied greatly so in that regard, that promise was given. Though it is only a shadow of the promise of the Kingdom which is talked about in Hebrews 11. There's nothing wrong with the tense of the verses.

Marques
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.