bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying for Patience  (Read 5356 times)

NoviceBeliever

Trying for Patience
« on: May 18, 2009, 03:06:38 PM »

I started to post this under an ongoing topic earlier this morning, but then realized, that what I was really asking for was for some support and prayers...

My chest is tight, my skin is crawling, my brow is furrowed, and I can't seem to be comfortable or quiet in my mind.

I have little patience when it comes to seeking knowledge, I want to understand what I seek...I read, I read, I read and I keep reading some more...I call out in my mind for HIM to open my eyes and ears and let me see and hear...and what I hear is you didn't learn how to tie your shoe by yourself or overnight, it took you more than a moment to learn how to ride a bike, you couldn't bake a cake without a recipe, you needed help to learn how to paint...knit a scarf and do so many other things in your life, so why do you think that understanding of GOD's plan for you will be instantaneous?!?!

GOD please give me patience...please give me patience, but also please keep me so uncomfortable that I keep searching and searching for the truth that you want me to see and hear.

NB

Marky Mark

Re: Trying for Patience
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 03:28:19 PM »

I started to post this under an ongoing topic earlier this morning, but then realized, that what I was really asking for was for some support and prayers...

My chest is tight, my skin is crawling, my brow is furrowed, and I can't seem to be comfortable or quiet in my mind.

I have little patience when it comes to seeking knowledge, I want to understand what I seek...I read, I read, I read and I keep reading some more...I call out in my mind for HIM to open my eyes and ears and let me see and hear...and what I hear is you didn't learn how to tie your shoe by yourself or overnight, it took you more than a moment to learn how to ride a bike, you couldn't bake a cake without a recipe, you needed help to learn how to paint...knit a scarf and do so many other things in your life, so why do you think that understanding of GOD's plan for you will be instantaneous?!?!

GOD please give me patience...please give me patience, but also please keep me so uncomfortable that I keep searching and searching for the truth that you want me to see and hear.

NB

An email to Ray,I hope it is of some assistance. :)

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,6055.0.html

I just found your website! And can’t wait to get home to go through it all! I praise God for what occurred this morning – because it lead me in search and I found your website. May God continue to give you wisdom and to others through it.

When I became a Christian one of the 1st things I was taught was not to pray for “patience”. Probably because that’s the first thing we ask – when we want more of the spirit and less of the flesh. So I’ve gone around for 6 yrs believing we should not – I don’t think I ever placed a high importance on trying to find it in scripture, because somehow my spirit is led to pray for God’s love onto others, His strength and mostly God’s His Will not mine. But recently (at a women’s bible study) someone asked God for Patience with their children, all the other women told her “we can not pray for patience” and I agreed as well. I received a hurtful call – accusing me of telling someone something that is not true. As God knows my heart…I would never mis-quote the word of God intentionally. I explained to the person that this is something I was taught by my first past or (a man seeking after God’s heart) and that I believed it to be true. I said I would do my very best to find scripture on it.

Please! Can you help? Can you give me clarity on this? Thanks.  Blessings Rosie

Dear Rosie:  You are to be commended for seeking Scriptural backing for the things that you believe.  I cannot even begin to imagine why Christians would teach others that they should not pray for patience.  The foolish superstitions of many Christians are bewildering. OF COURSE you should and need to pray for patience:

Col 1:8 Who also declared unto us your love in the Spirit.

Col 1:9 For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, DO NOT CEASE TO PRAY FOR YOU, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;

Col 1:10 That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God;

Col 1:11 Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all PATIENCE AND LONG SUFFERING [long suffering is just another form of patience] with joyfulness;

Col 1:12 Giving thanks unto the Father [that's PRAYING], which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:

And so we have Scriptural authority that two things that we are to "Give thanks unto the Father [in prayer]," and "pray without ceasing," is for "PATIENCE AND LONG SUFFERING."

God be with you, Ray 

Peace...Mark

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 01:44:38 PM »

I look at it this way, NB.  If the likes of me could understand it all quickly and completely, then it's hardly something all that magnificent.  I'm very thankful that we don't have a 'creed' or something we can mouth-along to.  It's the digging itself, and the contemplation, prayer, meditation, and confirmation that goes along with every 'gain' in understanding that makes the difference.

The scripture really IS the Words of God.  We are to worship Him in Spirit and Truth.  That's a relationship whose surest foundation is Scripture, rightly divided, spiritually discerned, and above all obeyed and lived.  We know 'in part' for a good reason, and it sounds to me like you are expereincing that reason.

Welcome, and hang in there.
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

NoviceBeliever

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 09:41:05 AM »

Mark and Dave~  God is showing me that I am at the start of a long journey but that he will guide me through his love. Thank you both so much! NB

meee

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 04:21:39 PM »

NB

I include in my prayers,"Let me not be deceived by anything or anyone. I only want your Truth!"
         NB,  thank God, time isn't the same with our God as we see it. To us it is soooo slow and we don't see progress, or maybe a tiny bit of progress, but He is just taking His time and He will perfect that which concerns us. He has begun the work and He will finish it , giving us understanding of each and everything He has for us to know and believe . In His timing, we are exactly where He intends us to be.
        meee :) 

judith collier

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 06:06:45 PM »

Dear NB, I am the most impatient person you could ever find. I have this hurry complex and I believe it is based in fear. Faster, faster, I do not know why. Sometimes it is a mental disorder(not suggesting you) I take medication to slow it down. I am getting a good grip on it though by practicing WAITING FOR JUST A FEW MORE SECONDS BEFORE RESPONDING OR ACTING. The results are fantastic as I am much calmer after practicing instead of giving in to it. Judy

Roy Coates

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 09:58:18 AM »

Seeking Him. Asking for help. Prayer and sharing with likeminded other.

Sounds to me like you are heading in the right direction. Peace, comfort, understanding and grace to you in the name of Jesus.

Roy

meee

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 04:03:42 PM »

Another thing about patience.

As I was re-reading " What is the Father's will ? "  ,at the very end of the 32 pages is this:

I got as email just yesterday, a man said anybody that couldn’t do what God wants to do for humanity, instantly, is not God.  Some things, by there very nature, require time and circumstances.  The gift of the Holy Spirit is patience, well I want it and I want it now, no.  Patience is waiting for something under duress and the pain of not having it, that’s patience.  How can you develop that without time and duress.  The more you think about it, just try to think of one virtue, love, kindness, faith, any virtue that you try to think of, that is not in some way, shape or form the result of overcoming some form of evil. To be good you must overcome evil.  Because your tendency is to be evil.

1Cor 15:1  Now I would remind you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, in which you stand,
v. 2  and by which you are being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you--unless you believed in vain.
v. 3  For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures,
v. 4  that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures;

We have yet much to learn!
Ray

Ninny

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 06:25:14 PM »

NB, was it Aristotle who said "patience is a virtue"? It is actually a Biblical principle as Ray pointed out in the quote that Meee put up. I'm not sure, but I know it is something we all want to attain to! I'm not so sure that any of us are born with it or really have an easy time finding it. I think it does come easier to some than to others! I know people who just have none whatsoever! I think sometimes when we make the same mistakes over and over again God is working in us to bring us patience. I have often thought about the Israelites on their journey through to the promised land. They took 40 years to go somewhere that would normally have only taken a few weeks! I call it "going around the mountain" how many times must we go around the same mountain to reach our destination? It's like a puppy chasing his tail!

We just tend to keep going around! I know it is frustrating when you can see the prize in front of you, but you just can't quite reach it! I guess it is a gift from God this patience! When I get really frustrated with something I just have to lay it aside and rest from it a bit and then pick it up again later and then I can look at it with a fresh eye. Some of the things Ray teaches are so foreign to the way we've been taught that it is always best to walk away and then come back a little later and take it bit by bit and always asking God to lead you! I will pray for your understanding and patience. God is a gentle Father and he will be patient with YOU while you are learning patience! All this probably doesn't help you, but God is right there beside you and He will give you just what you need when you need it!
Smile!
Kathy ;) 

NoviceBeliever

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 06:48:06 PM »

Ninny, Meee, Dave, Roy, Mark & Judy:
Thank you for your thoughts, prayers, and support...I am just back from a few days of uninterupted contemplation (aren't holiday weekends great!)  Luckily, I had internet available at my sisters, so there was many a night that I was up and reading until the wee hours, with many highs and lows.  I am back with a vengence and a purpose....and am now printing many of the things that I am trying to understand. So the lesson learned...stop reading the last page of every book I get my hands on and understand things little by little...

God bless you all! NB

aqrinc

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 03:04:53 AM »

Hi NB,

I did a little verse search for Patient and Patience, below are Some Scripture reasons why we all will (must) have patience. All these verses but 2, are for The (MKJV) Bible, there are 43 different verses in this translation with Patient or Patience or both. Below are nineteen different verses that say what or why we need this (Fruit).

As a bonus some Strongs cordance meaning of the different ways and meanings of Patience. Remember this is One Of The Fruit Of The Spirit; just as Meekness (Humility).  

Hope you find some help in understanding here, for me it is a pleasure whenever i get to research, and learn more Scripture (LIFE).

Gal 5: 22-23 (CLV)
22 Now the fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
23 meekness, self-control: against such things there is no law."

H750 (Patient) OT
ארך
'ârêk
aw-rake'
From H748; long: - long [-suffering, -winged], patient, slow [to anger].

G3114 (Patience) NT
μακροθυμέω
makrothumeō
mak-roth-oo-meh'-o
From the same as G3116; to be long spirited, that is, (objectively) forbearing or (subjectively) patient: - bear (suffer) long, be longsuffering, have (long) patience, be patient, patiently endure.

Job 6:11  
What is my strength, that I should hope? And what is my end, that I should be patient?

Ecc 7:8  
Better is the end of a thing than the beginning of it; the patient in spirit is better than the proud in spirit.

Luk 8:15  
But those on the good ground are the ones who, in an honest and good heart, having heard the Word, keep it and bring forth fruit with patience.

Luk 21:19  
By your patience you will gain your souls.

Rom 2:7  
indeed to those who with patience in good work are seeking for glory, and honor, and incorruptibility, everlasting life (immortality).

G5281
ὑπομονή
hupomonē
hoop-om-on-ay'
From G5278; cheerful (or hopeful) endurance, constancy: - enduring, patience, patient continuance (waiting).

Rom 5:3  
And not only this, but we glory in afflictions also, knowing that afflictions work out patience,

Rom 5:4  
and patience works out experience, and experience works out hope.

Rom 8:25  
But if we hope for that which we do not see, then we wait for it with patience.

G5278
ὑπομένω
hupomenō
hoop-om-en'-o
From G5259 and G3306; to stay under (behind), that is, remain; figuratively to undergo, that is, bear (trials), have fortitude, persevere: - abide, endure, (take) patient (-ly), suffer, tarry behind.

Rom 15:4  
For whatever things were written before were written for our learning, so that we through patience and comfort of the Scriptures (have hope) might have hope.

Rom 15:5  
And may the God of patience and consolation grant you to be like minded toward one another according to Christ Jesus,  

1Co 13:4  
Charity (Love) has patience, is kind; charity is not envious, is not vain, is not puffed up;

2Co 6:4  
but in everything commending ourselves as God's servants, in much patience, in troubles, in emergencies, in distresses,

G420
ἀνεξίκακος
anexikakos
an-ex-ik'-ak-os
From G430 and G2556; enduring of ill, that is, forbearing: - patient.

2Ti 2: 24-26
24  But the servant of the Lord must not strive, but to be gentle to all, apt to teach, patient,
25  in meekness instructing those who oppose, if perhaps God will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth,
26  and that they awake out of the snare of the Devil, having been taken captive by him, so as to do the will of that one.

Jas 5:7  
Therefore be patient, brothers, until the coming of the Lord. Behold, the farmer waits for the precious fruit of the earth and has long patience for it, until he receives the early and the latter rain.

2Pe 1:6  
and with knowledge self-control, and with self-control, patience, and with patience, godliness,

Rev 1:9  
I, John, who also am your brother and companion in the affliction, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the island that is called Patmos, for the Word of God and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Rev 3:10  
Because you have kept the Word of My patience, I also will keep you from the hour of temptation which will come upon all the habitable world, to try those who dwell upon the earth.

Rev 14:12  
Here is the patience of the saints. Here are the ones who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus.

george. :)

« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 03:37:13 PM by aqr »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 19 queries.