bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quote  (Read 6040 times)

youthfortruth

« on: May 19, 2009, 11:56:05 PM »

Hi Everyone!,

Just the other day I happened to hear a quote that really got me thinking. It goes:

"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."

-Oscar Wilde

Thinking about it I can't tell whether this remark could apply to religion. If so, wouldn't this statement be more fitting when applied to almost every aspect of predominate modern Christian teaching,  instead of bibletuths.com?.

Notice the word "Most".

What are your thoughts?

-Andrew

cjwood

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: Quote
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 12:52:37 AM »

hi youthfortruth,
good to see you post again. actually when i was reading the quote you provided i was thinking of the people sitting in the pews in the church of babylon. i don't believe it applies to bible-truths / forum as our thoughts are not someone else's opinions, but they are the thoughts of the new man within each of us provided to us by the Holy Spirit. ray's writings are not his personal opinions but they are the knowledge given to him by God through the Holy Spirit. no opinions, just the facts. the first part of the quote that most people are other people, made me think about how we who God has given the Spirit of Truth, whose eyes have been opened to the Scriptures and our ears have been made to hear the Words that are His declaration of His Son Jesus Christ, are actually other people than who the world sees us with their carnal eyes. we may appear to be as human as the next guy, but we are other people in our new man, aka, the man (or woman) who walks in the newness of Life.

claudia

aqrinc

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 02:28:23 AM »

hi youthfortruth,
good to see you post again. actually when i was reading the quote you provided i was thinking of the people sitting in the pews in the church of babylon. i don't believe it applies to bible-truths / forum as our thoughts are not someone else's opinions, but they are the thoughts of the new man within each of us provided to us by the Holy Spirit. ray's writings are not his personal opinions but they are the knowledge given to him by God through the Holy Spirit. no opinions, just the facts. the first part of the quote that most people are other people, made me think about how we who God has given the Spirit of Truth, whose eyes have been opened to the Scriptures and our ears have been made to hear the Words that are His declaration of His Son Jesus Christ, are actually other people than who the world sees us with their carnal eyes. we may appear to be as human as the next guy, but we are other people in our new man, aka, the man (or woman) who walks in the newness of Life.

claudia

Andrew, Claudia,

Most people are just parrotting what they hear from their teacher or Pastor indeed. Because they will not take the admonition to:

John 5: 37-40 (CLV)
37 And the Father Who sends Me, He has testified concerning Me. Neither have you ever heard His voice nor a perception of Him have you seen."
38 And His word you do not have remaining in you, for that One Whom He commissions, this One you are not believing."
39 Search the scriptures, for in them you are supposing you have life eonian, and those are they which are testifying concerning Me,
40 and not willing are you to come to Me that you may have life.

2Co 5: 17-18 (CLV)
17 So that, if anyone is in Christ, there is a new creation: the primitive passed by. Lo! there has come new!"
18 Yet all is of God, Who conciliates us to Himself through Christ, and is giving us the dispensation of the conciliation,
19 how that God was in Christ, conciliating the world to Himself, not reckoning their offenses to them, and placing in us the word of the conciliation."
20 For Christ, then, are we ambassadors, as of God entreating through us. We are beseeching for Christ's sake, "Be conciliated to God!"
21 For the One not knowing sin, He makes to be a sin offering for our sakes that we may be becoming God's righteousness in Him."

george. :)

« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 12:40:54 AM by aqr »

Fester

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • Yes a pancake!
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 11:21:39 PM »

"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."

-Oscar Wilde

What are your thoughts?

-Andrew

I think what everyone else thinks.

"Christianity began as a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. When it went to Athens, it became a philosophy. When it went to Rome, it became an organization. When it went to Europe, it became a culture. When it came to America, it became a business."

acomplishedartis

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 05:43:11 PM »

Hi Andrew, is good to see you here and posting.

My thoughts about a quotation about quotations...

I think copy is part of how we can share and communicate since there is nothing new under the sun, you know. But regarding most people  having always thoughts of someone else's opinions i agree with Claudia, there is opinions and there is facts, and parroting the pastor's opinion is all that church people do. I remember that Paul says something like ''copy me because a copy Christ''. And about our passions begin a quotation, if the quotations are well quoted from the sciptures then i would be fine with it.

Moises

Linny

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 08:17:11 PM »

I think it applies to everyone.  ::)  I think we are "herd" creatures by design. We like to belong to a group and we love to find someone who can say what we believe with flare and a few choice words. i.e. the quotation part. I listen to talk radio a lot. I am amazed at the rhetoric I hear daily. I rarely hear an original thought. Lots of catch phrases.
Look at the world man has created. We educate in groups, we politicize in groups, we govern in groups, we work in groups, we play in groups, we worship in groups.

I think this is along the same lines but today it occured to me that if we belong to the majority opinion on ANYTHING in/of this world, we are probably wrong.
Hmmmmm...... :-\ ;)

aqrinc

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 09:53:37 PM »

I think this is along the same lines but today it occurred to me that if we belong to the majority opinion on ANYTHING in/of this world, we are probably wrong.
Hmmmmm...... :-\ ;)

Linny,

Where those above conditions exist, always wrong is the best answer. Most people are just repeating or parroting what tickles their ears best. Thinking is hard work, coming up with unique solutions is even harder. My understanding since a little child is: if everybody else is doing it, something is definitely wrong with it.

The one thing i can remember to this day is: boy shut your mouth, you ask too many questions, just do it.

Still won't shut up and never follow the herd, unless i have the right answers from the leader and then i stay right on his tail to verify direction.

Once you learn the 80/20 rule, it starts to make sense.

cherokee

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 10:13:36 AM »

My favorite quote,

"Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see".

Suzie

Linny

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 12:40:11 PM »

Once you learn the 80/20 rule, it starts to make sense.

Well George, I guess that might work, UNLESS the 80/20 rule is believed to be true by the majority.  :D ;) :D ;) ;D

Suzie, AMEN! I can't believe I had forgotten that saying. Somebody sure nailed that one!
And I can say this. Many people may quote it, but rarely do you find someone who lives it.

aqrinc

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 12:50:29 PM »

If the majority believed it, then we would be in The next age now. ???

george ;D.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 23 queries.