bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Very Concerned  (Read 7473 times)

G. Driggs

Very Concerned
« on: July 24, 2009, 11:08:12 PM »

Hey all, can you please pray for our oldest daughter Alice, the one we adopted out to her grandparents. For whatever reason she is cutting herself on her wrists and I think something might be seriously wrong. Please pray for her mercy, comfort and peace, and that everything will be ok.

I have heard of this kind of thing before where teens will habitually cut or mutilate themselves, not really sure why though. Really worried about her. Gonna try and talk to her about it and see whats up.

Thank you all

Peace, G.Driggs

OBrenda

Re: Very Concerned
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 11:13:56 PM »

I certianly will.
That must have been hard for you find this out.

southland

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 11:22:44 PM »

You have my prayers

bluzman

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 11:32:23 PM »

George,
I am the godfather of a young lady. She turned 18 a few days ago.
Several times she has cut her wrists. She has problems in school and does not get along with her parents.
  Does your daughter have eating problems, anorexia so to speak? They see themselves differently.
  She doesn't speak to me about these things but I will try to find out a little more for you.
     Peace George,
      Bluzman

Phil3:10

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 11:40:38 PM »

George,
My sincere prayers for your daughter Alice and for you and her grandparents. Growing up is very hard in this time and our children and grandchildren have so many pressure and temptations. Show your genuine concern and let her know that you love her and will help in any way possible. Prayer is all I can offer but I feel certain many prayers will be made for Alice.
In HIM,
Phil3:10

NoviceBeliever

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 01:25:34 AM »

George,  My prayers go out to you. NB

smeacham

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 03:03:54 AM »

George and others,

At first I wanted to jump right in and pray, but I feel maybe I can help to answer some prayers already being said.  At least, I can give you some solid information to work with.

There are so many doing this these days.  Most of them are teen and pre-teen girls, and I'd venture that you know many of them already.  You just didn't know they were doing this.  The common term for this activity is "cutting" and if you do it, you're a "cutter."  Speaking their language, and using these words, seems to be a powerful thing when talking with teens.

One kind isn't very serious, and are called "pretenders" or "pretend cutters."  They may want to seem cool, or are affected by emotional music, but usually just want attention.  Those are called "divas," "drama queens," or "attention hounds." Whatever their reason, they don't do it seriously.  They use things like butter knives or pieces of plastic, and all you will probably see are tiny red lines or raised bits of skin.

The hardcore ones are real cutters.  They use knives, glass, razors, and other things that really cut.  They do NOT do it for attention, at least not more than once.  These can be divided into two types - suicidal and non-suicidal, and they are too many of both types.  Neither type does it for attention.  The reason is usually overwhelming emotional trauma.  The causes are as numerous as the kids doing it, and your daughter's reason will be unique.  Some general categories are broken homes, abusive parents, abusive peer relationships, pressure to be too serious too soon when dating, feeling unable to live up to expectations, etc.

Hardcore cutters seem to be very poetical, and you can get more insight into cutting by looking into their minds through their poetry than any other way I know of.  Here are some examples.  I recommend you pray before, during, and after reading these.  They aren't obscene or anything.  I just know the people that read this forum, so take my advise.  You'll thank me later.

http://allpoetry.com/tag/show/cutter

Babylon, in the form of CBN (but they sort of conceal their identity here) has some useful information and resources.  Like Bluzman's food kitchen, don't be shy to look for help there, too.

http://www.self-injury.org/

But, the most important thing in this is your daughter, not some ministry's view of things.  I hope that what I've shown you may help you out.  Maybe it will give you an in to talk with her.  Maybe that can be part of God's formula to make everything ok.  In fact, I'll do more than hope.  Now I feel it is time to pray.

Dear Father, please add my prayer to those of my brothers and sisters.  Give George's daughter, and everyone in her circle of family and friends, Your mercy, comfort, and peace, so they can see that everything will be ok.  We trust in You alone, Lord, because You alone are Good and Love.  I pray in Jesus' name, Amen.

Steven
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 03:08:56 AM by Steve Meacham »

Marlene

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 03:15:09 AM »

George, I will keep her in my prayers and all of you. I think Steve has given us all some good information on this.

In His Love,
Marlene

Ellie

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 05:27:38 AM »

George,praying for Alice and all of you.

Linny

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 12:56:08 PM »

George,
Alice and all of you in our prayers...
Lin

9440geoff

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 08:02:21 PM »

George, praying that you'll be able to get to the bottom of this behaviour, and also be able to effect a change in Alice, for the better.
Geoff

Roy Coates

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 12:44:38 AM »

You got it Driggs. Prayers sent.

cjwood

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 01:26:00 AM »

george,
i pray that our Father will clothe you in His Wisdom, Strength, and Compassion as you walk this path with your daughter. my own daughter (now age 30) has, in her past, participated in cutting. i was never even aware that she was doing it, as she hid it from me quite well. we have since discussed her cutting experiences and i listened quietly as she spoke of her reasons why she did it. of course all teenagers (and everyone else actually) have their own uniques situations, as to why they do one thing or another. my daughter said that one of her reasons for cutting was that she was the one that was controlling the amount of pain she would suffer. in other words, the pain or suffering she was to experience from the cutting was something she was controlling. i don't know your daughter or the perceived or real persecutions she is experiencing. i do know that your love and compassion will endear her to you, as well as i know that any harsh criticism of her cutting will only cause her to fall deeper into the despair she is feeling. the websites that steve has provided should be very helpful to you and your wife as you try to understand this outcry of your daughter.

i will keep you and your wife, as well as your daughter in my prayers.

claudia

judith collier

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 05:48:04 AM »

George, Alice is in my prayers as are you. Judy

meee

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2009, 12:33:00 PM »

George I'll pray for Alice and the rest of you. I too have heard of this behavior, and that it is sort of a way they numb their emotional pain, exchanging the one pain for the one that hurts more. I pray she gets help to find the cause of her pain!
 my love,meee

Astrapho

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2009, 01:00:55 PM »

I didn't only hear of it, I actually went through that phase a few months ago. Not pleasant at all, and recalling it is like seeing the beast rise again. All I can say is, my thoughts were completely screwed up, and the violent pictures I drew in that time hardly did it justice.

the one we adopted out to her grandparents

Does it have anything to do with that, though? Because I know I'll be cutting myself if my parents did that, but I suspect that's just me.

I'll be praying for Alice and your family.

lferretj

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2009, 03:41:08 PM »

She will be in my prayers.  From my personal experience, what kept me hanging on was the thought that it can't be this bad forever.  I waited for the situation to get better but it took 6 yrs and I can tell you that it was worth the wait.  I prayed and prayed and finally God answered and gave me back the hope I was missing among many other blessings.  If you or your daughter have any questions for me please don't hesitate to pm me for contact info.  Here are a few verses that I hung onto that helped save my life.

Hebrews 13:5
Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”

Acts 17:26-28 (New King James Version)
26 And He has made from one blood every nation of men to dwell on all the face of the earth, and has determined their preappointed times and the boundaries of their dwellings, 27 so that they should seek the Lord, in the hope that they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us; 28 for in Him we live and move and have our being, as also some of your own poets have said, ‘For we are also His offspring.’

Psalm 116
1 I love the LORD, because He has heard
         My voice and my supplications.
 2 Because He has inclined His ear to me,
         Therefore I will call upon Him as long as I live.

3 The pains of death surrounded me,
         And the pangs of Sheol laid hold of me;
         I found trouble and sorrow.
 4 Then I called upon the name of the LORD:
         “O LORD, I implore You, deliver my soul!”

5 Gracious is the LORD, and righteous;
         Yes, our God is merciful.
 6 The LORD preserves the simple;
        I was brought low, and He saved me.
 7 Return to your rest, O my soul,
         For the LORD has dealt bountifully with you.

This verse would have been nice to know while going through those trials.
Ecc 1:13
“It is an experience of evil Elohim [God] has given to the sons of humanity to humble them by it” (Concorant Old Testament).

lferretj

EKnight

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2009, 04:51:43 PM »

I will certainly pray for Alice.  I was a cutter myself when I was 18/19 although the term was not yet coined.  I reflect on those days and I think I just hated myself.  I was angry for who I was and wanted to punish myself and I wanted others to know that not only they were disappointed in me but I was too.

Dear Lord, please hear our prayers for Alice and those that love her.  Help her to learn to love herself and to understand and trust in Your grand plan.  Let her recognize the love of her family and most especially Your unchanging love for her.

Eileen

smeacham

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2009, 11:55:06 PM »

The people who run the following website are way more Jesus-like and way less religious than many in Babylon.  I don't go to them for theology or Bible teaching, but they are good at understanding God's heart.  If only they could take one more step of faith to understand God's salvation for all mankind.

Nevertheless, check this out.  It may help you, or even be a help to your daughter, when dealing with depression, self-injury, and addiction.

http://www.twloha.com/

To Write Love on Her Arms is a non-profit movement dedicated to presenting hope and finding help for people struggling with depression, addiction, self-injury and suicide.  TWLOHA exists to encourage, inform, inspire and also to invest directly into treatment and recovery.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 20 queries.