bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Foreign Tongues  (Read 6244 times)

RRHinds

Foreign Tongues
« on: May 06, 2010, 06:08:02 PM »

Can God give us a new language? Well the answer to that is a big yes. I became a born again Christian in 1981 through Y.W.A.M. (Youth With A Mission) England. In March 1983 God sent me to a Y.W.A.M. base in the middle of a forest near a city called Contagem in Brazil.
One month later on my birthday 17 April I was sent on an outreach with some 20 students and an interpreter. One day the group leader asked me through my interpreter Tony if I could preach at a house that afternoon and at a church at night I said okay and went to my room praying to see what the Lord wanted me to preach. At the appointed time to go to the house I discovered that my interpreter had gone back to base. I asked the Lord what to do, he said that it was He that would do the talking and not me. So I went in obedience and to my surprise when I opened my mouth out came perfect Portuguese, the same happened at night and since that day I have spoken and written perfect Portuguese without taking one single lesson. God showed me and the people who were witnesses of this miracle that He give us the means to get his will done.

Hope this can be of some encouragement to someone.

lauriellen

Re: Foreign Tongues
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 06:24:36 PM »

WOW!  :o   amazing.....

Jer 32:17  Ah Lord GOD! behold, thou hast made the heaven and the earth by thy great power and stretched out arm, and there is nothing too hard for thee:

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 06:27:49 PM »

That should make some of the things God has done for us, not feel so wierd.  :)

God knows what He is doing and it is all for His Purpose and Plan to make us into the Image of His Son.

Thank you for sharing.

Arc

Kat

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 09:16:33 PM »

Hi RRHinds,

Well to me this is amazing, I have no reason to doubt what you are saying. Just as the Apostles were given the gift of tongues at the beginning of this era of God choosing out His Elect I wonder if He is giving this gift again near the end of this era, close to the return of Christ. At least that is my hope, that His return is near. It makes sense to me that He would work with increased gifts of the spirit along with the increase in knowledge that is very evident.

Also I can see this as an encouragement to the Elect, although it is a miracle to me everyday that I am shown more truth, it is a real blessing to know He is working so powerfully through His people at this time. May God bless you and strengthen you in the work you are doing.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

arion

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • Marquette, MI
    • Big Bay Michigan Weather
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 10:02:47 PM »

Hello RR:

And welcome to the forum.  I do not doubt that God can and will do miracles even today.  However I believe that you realize that like the rest of us you were abiding in false Babylonian Christianity in your early days and he is bringing you out of this as he is us.  The question I would have is why would God bless you with this 'gift' to preach and speak a perfect foreign language if you were preaching the error that you had been taught from denominational Christianity?  And also we know from the teachings here that nobody has been 'born again' (past tense) unless and until they come up in the first resurrection.  I don't directly question you or your testimony but neither do I believe something that I read on an internet forum either unless the spirit witnesses of it to me.  I hope you understand what I'm saying.

God bless you!!

Linny

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 12:48:01 AM »

I also do not doubt your story!  ;D
God is always at work within the lives of His creation at all stages in their walk. We are only blind if He chooses us to be.
This is not the first time I have heard of this particular miracle happening and it always involved
non-BT preaching/missionary work. God did many miracles for me while I was blind and still does  miracles today within the church HE SET UP and pulled us out of. God didn't just begin working in my life after I came to BT and the truth HE opened my eyes to. He began many years ago while HE chose for me to be blind.
Thanks for sharing!

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 07:49:02 AM »

Hi again RRHinds

Maybe you will find some points to consider from seeing that some believe and others doubt. For me, rightly or wrongly, it does not matter if we believe or not what you are sharing about your experience.  We shall all have our own opinions and what matters is how we individually know the Truth and follow it. Everyone has offered a valuable insight regarding discernment of the Truth which is profitable and encouraging for us to consider.

Once a member wrote in a charming story about a stable that burnt down and the horses were saved by walking through the snow up to the top of a hill. The story was lovely. No one got killed. Everyone was happy and great beauty was the result of the potentially destructive incident of the stable burning down.

I could just as well write to the Forum that yesterday I walked on water. I walked clean across my swimming pool. I can write that and it would have the effect of causing a division between those who would believe me, those who don’t and those who are neutral whether I did or did not walk on water.

It is like a drug addict who tripping out on a powerful hallucination caused by a drug, can swear by his life that he went to heaven or hell or spoke in tongues or produced any one of the many miracles that we know God can do and has done. Gosh, he can even write a book that gets first place on the Wall Street Journal Best Sellers List! :D

What we as brothers and sisters, sons and daughters, servants and saints have to keep in mind is not to elevate the person above God and to test the spirits whether they be of God or not. The Truth has not changed. If God gifts Ray Smith to disclose the Mysteries of God, that is God’s work not Rays. If God gives you the gift or the illusion of any of His Miracles, then it is God’s Work for all is of God.

If you are popular or unpopular, believed or doubted, it is God’s Work. We know the end of Gods work will be to produce in us the perfect Image of His Son. God knows your heart, our hearts and to Him we are each one, ultimately accountable.

Rev 22:8  And I John saw these things, and heard them. And when I had heard and seen, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel which shewed me these things.

Rev 22:9  Then saith he unto me, See thou do it not: for I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren the prophets, and of them which keep the sayings of this book: worship God.

Act 10:34  Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:

Joh 10:27  My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

And one of my favorites:  8)

Joh 21:22  Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me.

Also, Ray gives a sobering insight regarding our motives that may mis-lead us into falsly assuming that it is our job to save, convert and heal the world. Quote:-

It is ALL OF GOD. It is not wrong to tell others of your knowledge of God and His Word. It is not, however, your responsibility to "get people saved." Only God can do that. F:\WINNING SOULS FOR JESUS - L_ Ray Smith - bible-truths_com.mht

Rom 10:12  For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him. 8)

Arc
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 07:53:30 AM by Arcturus »

soberxp

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 08:40:40 AM »

well, your faith is strong.
If I believe I cannot do something, it makes me incapable of doing it. :P   .LOL.

Roy Martin

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 08:44:14 AM »

Hello Roland,
 God does supernatural things in my life everyday. Influences my thoughts, choices, actions, where I go,who I meet, and quite often the words that come from my mouth.
 Paul was on his way to gather up Christians to kill. God did a supernatural thing.It doesn't matter where or what someone is doing, or what they are thinking, or what their beliefs are; God can perform anytime, anywhere, in whom ever he chooses.
 Your testimony is yours to share, as you have done. Its not going to harm me to believe you.
 God did many good things to, and through me when I was in the church system as He was leading me into something new.
 Thank you for the encouraging testimony.

Peace
Roy  
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 10:27:43 AM by Roy Martin »

margo

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 12:36:44 PM »

Hi Rolland,

God does what God does, and when He wants to do it.  Pretty simple.  He has ALWAYS been working in and through HIS creation.  I also, when I thought I was born again, in the church, all my life as a child, God did miracles. It is God's work.  Let us not put God in our timing, it is in His Time.  All Time.  Good and bad.

Blessings,
Margo

G. Driggs

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 04:01:18 PM »

Thanks for sharing RRHinds!

Php 1:18  But what does it matter, so long as either way, whether in pretense [for personal ends] or in all honesty [for the furtherance of the Truth], Christ is being proclaimed? And in that I [now] rejoice, yes, and I shall rejoice [hereafter] also.

Lots to learn and unlearn while you are here, even after a short couple years studying Ray's papers and the Scriptures I still find old beliefs that need to be burned, and it's gonna take a while to get rid of them all. Keep reading Ray's papers and testing the spirits and be prepared to have everything you know and believe come crashing down. Your in the right place. ;)

Peace, G.Driggs

Joel

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 03:41:20 AM »

Welcome Rolland!
What you are sharing here is your testimony as to what the Lord Jesus has done in your life, and all I can say is Thanks! for sharing what has to be only a small part of what he has done for, and through you.
God uses what and whomsoever he will to get a persons attention, I am sure the hearers in that country were really helped by what you said, coming to them in their own language.
I have learned in my 58 years, to never try, and limit God in any way, shape, or form.
Of course I have to see how things stack up against HIS WORD.
Will God do things that confound the wisdom of this world? I think we all can see what he has done, using L. Ray Smith.
I for one applaud your endeavors as you are lead of the Spirit, and seek to hold forth the Word of Life, and to propagate sound doctrine.
I grew up in a denomination where I never had heard of any kind of tongues, but when God called me at 16, and I started my walk with him, I heard a language I didn't know, and saw a vision of my life that has come to pass.
Do I speak in tongues now? no, is God working in my life now? YES!. That is part of my testimony.
If God should choose a jackass to turn someone in the right direction can we say HE should not? God forbid.
"The earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof; the World, and they that dwell therein."

Joel

Stacey

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 03:51:38 AM »

Thanks for sharing this testimony RRHinds and welcome to the BT Forum. It is always good to hear testimonies from folks giving God the credit for His works.
Stacey

Marky Mark

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 12:31:27 PM »

Can God give us a new language? Well the answer to that is a big yes. I became a born again Christian in 1981 through Y.W.A.M. (Youth With A Mission) England. In March 1983 God sent me to a Y.W.A.M. base in the middle of a forest near a city called Contagem in Brazil.
One month later on my birthday 17 April I was sent on an outreach with some 20 students and an interpreter. One day the group leader asked me through my interpreter Tony if I could preach at a house that afternoon and at a church at night I said okay and went to my room praying to see what the Lord wanted me to preach. At the appointed time to go to the house I discovered that my interpreter had gone back to base. I asked the Lord what to do, he said that it was He that would do the talking and not me. So I went in obedience and to my surprise when I opened my mouth out came perfect Portuguese, the same happened at night and since that day I have spoken and written perfect Portuguese without taking one single lesson. God showed me and the people who were witnesses of this miracle that He give us the means to get his will done.

Hope this can be of some encouragement to someone.

Who are we to believe?  God or man.

Mar 4:23  If any man has ears to hear, let him hear.

http://bible-truths.com/tongues.htm

HAS THE GIFT OF LANGUAGES CEASED?

I have heard the argument used that if speaking in languages, as a gift from God is not for us today, then neither is "prophecies" and "knowledge." But as both the gifts of prophesying and knowledge are still in use in the church, so also is the gift of languages. Ahhh, but, there is a mystery revealed in these verses if we have the spiritual mind to see it:

"Charity [love] NEVER FAILS [Gk: ekpipto, never become inefficient]: But whether there be prophecies they shall fail [Gk: katargeo—be rendered useless, vanish away, make void, nullify, be discarded, etc.]: whether there be languages, they shall cease [Gk: pauo—to stop, quit, desist, come to an end]; whether there by knowledge, it shall vanish away [Gk: katargeo—same as for prophecies]… and now abides faith, hope, charity [love], these three; but the greatest of these is charity" (I Cor. 13:1,8,13).

Love = never fails (ekpipto) [never lapses]

Prophesying = shall fail (katargeo) [be discarded]

Languages = shall cease (pauo) [will cease]

Knowledge = vanish away (katargeo) [be discarded]

What can we learn here? Well we can eliminate the first one, Love, for it will never fail. But notice the next three, prophesying, languages and knowledge do come to an eventual end, but apparently in different ways. And this is clearly seen by the use of different Greek words. Paul obviously said that prophesying would katargeo, and knowledge would also katargeo, but had a different take on what would happen to languages, as he said they would pauo rather than katargeo.

Why is that? Why do prophesying & knowledge come to one kind of an end, but languages comes to a different kind of a end? It is because God has two different purposes for prophesying & knowledge, and languages.

The answer is found in the usage of the two words: katargeo and pauo. The King James Translators partly saw the answer, but they were not consistent (obviously so, they translated the very same Greek word, katargeo two different ways in the very same verse). They rightly stated that languages shall cease, but they saw how katargeo is used many times in Scripture, hence they said that "knowledge shall vannnish away" rather than "cease."

Notice that both prophecies and knowledge are said to "fail and vanish away," as the same Greek word is used for both—katargeo. But when it says that languages shall cease it is a different word—pauo. Why is this? Do they not all meet with a similar fate? No, no they don’t, and that’s why a different word is used to describe their ending.

Remember that it is "usage" that determines the real meaning of words. Dictionaries and the study of etymology can be big helps, but in the end it is usage which gives us the best definition. And, the more and different ways that we can see a word used, the more precisely we can see its true meaning.

HOW KATARGEO AND PAUO ARE USED IN SCRIPTURE

The Greek word katargeo has the connotation of coming to an end, falling into disuse, annulling, discarding, growing old, useless, and being done away, etc.

Sometimes it can be used in a situation where something comes to an end rather quickly, but many many times it is used to describe something that is fading into disuse. That is why I drew out the word used by the KJV Translators in: "shall vannnish away," as I wanted to show the feel of it stretching out over a period of time, and not something that comes to an abrupt end as in the word "cease." Here are some examples of how katargeo is used to represent something that expires or is discarded over a prolonged period:

"Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down, why cumbers/encumbers [Gk: katargeo] the ground" (Luke 13:7 — "…make even the ground useless," Rotherham).

Here we are told that this katargeo was rendering the ground useless for 3 years.

"Meats for the belly, and the belly for meats: but God shall destroy [Gk: katargeo)] both it and them" (I Cor. 6:13—"…will be discarding it and them…," Concordant Literal New Testament).

In this verse we see that the process of God "…discarding [katargeo] it and them…" is still going on after two thousand years.

"Then comes the end, when He shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when He shall have put down [Gk: katargeo] all rule and all authority and power. For He must reign till he has put all enemies under His feet. The last enemy that shall be destroyed [Gk: katargeo] is death" (I Cor. 15:24-26).

From the above we see that katargeo can take three years until something ends, or two thousand years and still counting till something else ends, or even throughout the entire reigning of Jesus Christ until all enemies including death itself is abolished. So here is Scriptural proof that anything that is a katargeo consummation can take as long as man is still in the flesh to come to a final end. And prophesying & knowledge are specifically said to come to a katargeo end. But NOT SO WITH LANGUAGES.

Here is how we are told that languages will consummate: "…whether there be languages, they shall cease [Gk: pauo—‘stop, quit, end, cease’]…’ (I Cor. 13:8). But is there a difference in the "time" it takes for something that is katargeo to end, and something that is pauo to end? Yes there is. Here is how the word pauo is used in Scripture:

"Now when He [Jesus] he had left [Gk; pauo] speaking, He said unto Simon, Launch out into the deep, and let down your nets for a draught" (Luke 5:4).

How long do we suppose it was between the time Jesus stopped speaking and Jesus commanded Peter? A few minutes? It was very quickly, not years.

"And they came to Him, and awoke Him, saying, Master, master, we perish. Then He arose and rebuked the wind and the raging of the water: and they ceased [GK: pauo], and there was a calm" (Luke 8:24).

How long did it take to cause the wind and raging water to cease? A few minutes? Certainly not hours or days.

"And it came to pass, that as He was praying in a certain place, when He ceased [Gk: pauo], one of His disciples said unto Him, Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples. And He said unto them. When ye pray, say…" (Luke 11:1-2).

Jesus ceased praying in an instant. Or do we believe Jesus went hours, or days between praying. To stop something by use of the word pauo is to end it very quickly.

"…and when they saw the chief captain and the soldiers, they left [Gk: pauo] beating of Paul. Then the chief captain came near, and took him…" (Acts 21:32).

As soon as they left beating of Paul the chief captain came. Not hours or days later, but right then. The word pauo does not linger for centuries as does the word katargeo.

When Paul teaches us that languages will end by way of pauo, he is telling us that languages will end very quickly as compared with prophesies & knowledge which will fade out over centuries and eons of time.

Therefore, we still have prophesies & knowledge, whereas the gift of languages is never ever mentioned again after I Cor. 14 for the remaining years of Paul’s ministry. Nor is the gift Of languages every mentioned by any other New Testament writer. Truly languages did CEASE.

And what we see today is a weak shameful counterfeit sham of the original Gift of languages in the early New Testament Church. The instruction of the Apostle Paul regulating the use and practice of speaking in languages is completely book-ended. There is no room for personal interpretation on this subject. The truth of this doctrine is found in I Cor. 14, and nowhere else.

If it isn’t a real genos language,

if it isn’t spoken one by one,

if it isn’t interpreted,

if it isn’t a sign to an unbeliever,

if it isn’t understood by the mind,

if it doesn’t edify the whole church,

then it is a counterfeit and a sham.

Peace...Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 23 queries.