bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lesson of the Beehive.  (Read 3324 times)

grapehound

Lesson of the Beehive.
« on: October 18, 2010, 02:32:57 AM »

Lesson of the Beehive.

Arthur Gillette is a well known bee-keeper in Liverpool.
He heads the Lancashire Society of Beekeepers and is  incredibly knowledgeable of these amazing creatures.  He is still sought after for this detailed information, that is encyclopaedic in its scope, regardless, or maybe because of his age.

Being 91, he’s likely the last of his generation with his brand of insight.  His physical appearance is arresting, knowing his age.  I’d say you could knock 30 years off.

His workload is phenomenal, still daily looking after hundreds of hives and fitting in lectures and practical workshops, up and down the country. He still drives an old, meticulously kept English compact, which he services himself.  He still has perfect eyesight, is very nimble and lives alone. His home, like the man himself, is spotlessly clean and neat. He is very quick witted and is always cheerful. He regularly visits and looks after a mutual friend who is 86!

I’ve known Arthur for a few years. I was amazed to learn of his age, through our mutual friend.  I once asked him the ‘secret’ of his disposition and vitality.  He told me never to eat sugar and salt, not to work too hard, but always keep busy !  AND (as you would expect), eat plenty of honey !

Watching him gathering honey one day, I noticed the smoke gun in his hand and enquired as to its use.
“I understand the smoke stupefies them and makes them docile.”, I preened, expecting him to agree.
He smirked at me with piercing blue eyes and said, “Stupefy ‘em?, you’ll not stupefy a bee, lad.”

I loved being called ‘lad’.

“Common misconception,” he smiled.
“Then why don’t they attack you?”
He explained that when they are aware of the smoke, they assume it’s like a forest fire. This triggers a reaction in them to start collecting as much honey as they can carry, so they can quickly form another hive, away from the danger.
He explained that by nature, bees are workaholics. They’re extremely single minded.  They’re not bothered about saving the nest. If there’s smoke around, for them it’s time to leave.
When there’s smoke, the only thing on their minds is survival, and they work as one. They’re not the least bothered by him, they think it’s all over. They become obsessed with collecting.

It’s not that they are stupefied.

They are obsessively bent on preparing for their new life. The old hive has already become worthless to them by the threat of it’s impending destruction. They have no desire to attack the keepers hand. They are single mindedly preparing for the next stage. Whatever that might be.

I mused on this for a while and realised the parallel.

When we understand this life is over, let’s prepare for the next, with all diligence;  with everything we’ve got.

If you’ll pardon the pun, let’s follow the bee-attitudes.  :)

Grape.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.