bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cancun  (Read 4754 times)

Gina

Cancun
« on: February 07, 2012, 08:56:28 AM »

Our talented brother, Moises, shot this video:  http://vimeo.com/21854320

Enjoy!

Fester

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • Yes a pancake!
Re: Cancun
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 06:04:06 PM »

It no doubt would (could) be a nice place to visit.  But count me out for now.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_5665.html

"Christianity began as a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. When it went to Athens, it became a philosophy. When it went to Rome, it became an organization. When it went to Europe, it became a culture. When it came to America, it became a business."

Gina

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 09:03:37 PM »

According to that link: 
The number of U.S. citizens reported to the Department of State as murdered in Mexico increased from 35 in 2007 to 120 in 2011. 

Fester, One murder would be too many, true. But 120?  In all of Mexico?  Geez, that's not a lot considering what the murder rate is here in the U.S.   

Should they miraculously decide to end the drug war that stuff would come to a screeching halt.  But the drug war won't end because it's much too lucrative for both the government AND the drug cartels to keep the war going.  And that's all I'm saying about that.

acomplishedartis

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 06:18:39 AM »

Here is an excerpt that I totally agree with:

Both the media and the government paint with a very broad brush. When something happens in Nuevo Laredo, it doesn’t happen in Nuevo Laredo, it happens in Mexico. All of Mexico is lumped together with things which might be happening in certain cities or regions. They make no distinction between the north and south.

There certainly are places you probably should avoid, but that doesn’t mean you should paint the whole country with a broad brush. If you apply the same logic to the United States, people should avoid Des Moines because of crime in Detroit. It makes no sense. The only reason we accept that sort of thinking for foreign countries is because we aren’t as familiar with them.

The Philippines are a great example. In the south near Malaysia, there have been cases of violence with Muslim separatists. Political violence in some areas has also been noteworthy and it has one of the highest murder rates for journalists in the world. That is what you hear about on the news. However, the northernmost province of Batanes has a crime rate of zero. ZERO. The police complain of having nothing to do and if you lose an item it will usually be taken to the radio station to find the owner.
Batanes and Mindanao are part of the same country, but culturally and physically they are hundreds of miles apart. Yet, when you hear of problems in “The Philippines” everything gets lumped together.

The government has an incentive to be conservative in its warnings. If someone has a good time on their vacation, no one will hear about it. If someone gets killed, then it gets on the news. It is in their interest to overstate the dangers of a place.

There are plenty of places I have no desire to visit. Anywhere that is an active war zone is off my list. I wouldn’t want to have visited Baghdad at any point in the last 10 years. The Ivory Coast is a place I’ll put off visiting for a while (but if someone from the Ivory Coast told me that conditions are only bad in certain spots, and I’d have a hard time arguing with them.)

The final thing I will say on this subject, is that the real dangers while traveling aren’t the ones that come from the news. The biggest killer of tourists is automobile accidents. Most of the serious injuries sustained by travelers I know personally have come from bicycle or motorbike accidents. These are the real dangers while traveling and they are ones you’ll never hear about on CNN. They are the common everyday accidents that happen at home while we are worried about terrorism.
Safety should be a priority while traveling, but you shouldn’t worry about problems that don’t exist. Do your research, use common sense and that should take care of the majority of potential problems.     Gary Arndt (http://everything-everywhere.com/2011/01/21/traveling-to-dangerous-places/)

Also, in according to 'that link':

Quintana Roo: Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya and Tulum are the major cities/travel destinations in Quintana Roo -see map (PDF, 286 kb) to identify their exact locations: No advisory is in effect.

Anyway, I am sure that the intentions of posting that video was mostly to share the appreciation of God's nature/landscapes with brothers.

When I shoted it (the last spring) I never cared on promoting vacations, those places just happen to be so close to where I live.

Regarding safety. Personally I live with out fears, I never feel insecure and do not have brave and cool story's to amaze. Yeah is pretty much a matter of common sense; the certain locations that you visit at certain times of the day, the people you frequent on a daily base and how much do you let your self being entertained by the mass media, are very big factors, just as in most places.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 06:33:17 AM by Moises »

Gina

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 12:17:05 PM »

Thanks for posting that info, Moises.

Yes, my intention was to show God's beauty in nature.  I just love it.  It's like, Hey, God made that!  Those are the sorts of things God thinks about.  That fascinates me.  It's good to know places that beautiful and peaceful actually exist and can be visited by anyone.  Imagine someone in some ghetto somewhere who can really appreciate it, if God gives them the opportunity, being/visiting/living in a place like that.  They'd be overwhelmed!  Their lives would be changed forever.

eggi

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 05:28:48 PM »

That video was so nice to watch! Thanks for sharing. Made me long for summer time.

God bless you,
Eirik
Here’s how to tell if you have faith; how do you live… what do you do… what do you accomplish in life… what are your goals… What is there about you that proves that you have this faith and belief inside of you? What?

1eyebri

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 10:26:41 PM »

Yes, my intention was to show God's beauty in nature.  I just love it.  It's like, Hey, God made that!   Those are the sorts of things God thinks about.  That fascinates me. It's good to know places that beautiful and peaceful actually exist and can be visited by anyone. Imagine someone in some ghetto somewhere who can really appreciate it, if God gives them the opportunity, being/visiting/living in a place like that.  They'd be overwhelmed! Their lives would be changed forever.

Gina

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 04:24:38 AM »

Very good! haha!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 22 queries.