bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A day with an old friend  (Read 3687 times)

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
A day with an old friend
« on: July 01, 2012, 08:28:23 PM »

I spent saturday in Memphis visiting an old friend.  Even after more than 25 years, catching up and 'feeling' the friendship wasn't hard at all to do.  We met in our late teens and went through a lot of our christian struggles together.  His life arc since then bears a lot of resemblance to mine (in loving the Lord, and losing that love and falling away, etc.), so much of what he was telling me about I instantly connected with. 

Though he'd done a lot of coursework in various seminaries in his younger years, he just recently 'finished' his MA in Religion, mainly so he could tick that off his list of things to do.  I had the oppurtunity to share what I've been learning.  It wasn't difficult for me, really.  The difficulty came from him having to parse what I was saying through whatever 'doctrinal' position he was familiar with.  For instance, when I told him I thought 'free-will' was a myth and a delusion, you could almost see the wheels turing as he tried to lump me in with Calvinists.  Oddly, he was the one who first introduced me to the concept as he embraced it for a while in his 'spiritual' search.  I had to remind him that this had been the case.  ;)

He has a 'liberal' view of scripture itself, and for me to say that I believed in 'inerrancy' in the orginal languages but NOT in the 'interpretations' of Christian doctrine I think left him a little confused.  I don't think he had a 'box' for that.   :D

Anyways, I was able to 'preach' but didn't press, and able to 'answer' without 'selling' and able to leave him with both an uncompromised 'gospel' and a continued friendship.  I believe he has (and has always had) a thirst and hunger for the truth.  He himself has been persecuted in babylon for this.  In many ways early on, he 'led' me.  It is a bit strange to find myself more at peace than he is.  If you can think of it, please pray for Larry.

I don't get out much, so this was a real treat for me.  Some of you may do things like this all the time.  Others may seldom get the oppurtunity.  I'm glad I was able to 'do' as we've so often 'advised' from Ray's example and scriptural admonition.       
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Gina

Re: A day with an old friend
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 09:08:53 PM »

It kinda takes your breath away a little bit doesn't it.   8)

eggi

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 07:10:17 PM »

Dear Dave,

thank you for sharing your story. It's so nice to think that even 25 years of not seeing each other will break a true friendship.

To be honest, at this moment in my life I'm a bit tired of having theological debates with others, mainly because I'm told several times per month that I'm lawless. But, all is of God.

I'm glad you had a break and had the chance to catch up. :)

God bless you,
Eirik
Here’s how to tell if you have faith; how do you live… what do you do… what do you accomplish in life… what are your goals… What is there about you that proves that you have this faith and belief inside of you? What?

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 09:02:57 PM »

Thanks, Eirik.  It really wasn't much of a debate.  He asked, I answered.  He changed the subject, I let him.  He came back to it, and I answered him some more.  If he had been dfferent, the whole thing would have been different.  Salvaging the friendship wasn't top-most in my mind.  Neither was 'converting' him. 

I think I was just returning a favor.  Years ago he told me that God was sovereign and free-will was an illusion.  I didn't believe him, and he no longer does.  I told him that the sovereignty of God is what ensures the reconciliation of all.  Now it's his turn to think about these things.   

They called your Lord 'lawless' too, brother.  At least that's what they insinuated.  As He is in the world, so are we.  Hang in there. 

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

acomplishedartis

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 02:57:45 AM »

Hi Dave.

Good for you that you was able to return the favor. Doing that is is very considered, even if you do it to a different person, for example, If I have been helped on certain way on the past by some random person and if now I get the opportunity to do the same for another person; I try to do it while reminding how I have been helped in my past.

Have you ever notice that after the going out and after the dinner is over, one usually think about...;
what just happened there, what should I done better, and what I am going to do about it?

And tht's good if we take the time to answer to ourselves...But now I coming to the conclusion that all that really matters is the spirit behind/in your speech while you where there.

It seems like you had the right spirit there,
congratulations!

Moises

ps. I don't get into troubles often neither, well I mean into sharing this themes too often, except with brothers and sisters. Actually Claudia (cjwood) stoped by close to where I live the other day since she was on a trip. I was able to go and met with her along with my cousin and brother Beto. We all went to have dinner and had a great time. It was a short time but it was worth.

ez2u

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 01:59:57 AM »

wow  strange  that he told you first than you now are telling him   what is the Lord doing?

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.