> General Discussions

Is Jesus Christ Eternal

<< < (4/6) > >>

octoberose:
Just to add something else to our discussion, on the first page of bible-truths Ray asks, Does God Learn?  So, if God ever took five seconds to learn something, then certainly Christ can learn as he went. The thought above about us being like Christ meaning similar to Him makes sense to me - because even if we have his holiness and wisdom, we will never suffer and die the way he did. That has to have touched him, changed him in a way.  No one is like Christ. I wonder (thought experiment here ) if that means even God looks at His Son with amazement that He fulfilled his calling but God in His Holy above Holy state  will never totally feel what Christ felt as a human on the cross. Christ is our intermediary.  He is truly one of a kind.  And the older I am, the more I am in awe of him.

Dave in Tenn:
Don't want to delve deep into theology.  The very term (the study of God) makes me wince.  I just want to throw this axiom into this discussion:. There is no Father without children.  And since God is spirit and the words of Christ are spirit, I'm more prone to write it "There is no "father" without "children".   

Dave in Tenn:

--- Quote from: Anjel Uriel on September 05, 2022, 04:11:15 PM ---
However, when we look at Scriptures when referring to Christ as the only-begotten Son of God, the Greek word is different to when referring to us being begotten by God. The word used for us is 1080. gennaó and it means to beget, to bring forth, etc. But, the word for Christ is 3439. monogenés and it means properly, one-and-only; "one of a kind" – literally, "one (monos) of a class, genos" (the only of its kind).

So this let us know that let us know that in a way our sonship and Christ’s are different. If I’m not mistaken orthodoxy says that it means that Christ is eternally generated by God the Father.

--- End quote ---

It's the "mono" part of this compound word that adds the distinction to the same word.  I take that to mean He is the only begotten...the only one of the begotten kind, if you like.  We're not yet begotten.  Nobody has followed Him completely, even if they themselves were crucified.  Jesus wasn't lying when He said, "You must be born again (born from above)", though my old evangelical friends don't understand it yet.

Dennis Vogel:

--- Quote from: indianabob on September 06, 2022, 09:14:56 PM ---Hi Dennis,

Sorry if I was not clear about Christ's situation when he was existing in the heavenlies before the creation of the earth.
If we accept that Christ existed with Father God before matter was created and if we accept that they planned that he lay down his life according to plan before he was conceived in the womb of Mary, then was he not immortal or "undying" prior to the formation of earth and Adam and Eve?

* 1 Tim 6:14-16 seems to refer to Christ Jesus as Lord of Lords rather than the Father GOD almighty.
=
Joh 10:17  Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.
Joh 10:18  No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

Please correct any misunderstanding of mine. Thank you, Indiana Bob

--- End quote ---

This is a little confusing Bob.

I admit I was not too clear on this myself but I knew Ray addressed immortality in a talk but I could not remember which one. But then I remembered.

Go here and listen for a minute (starts 19 minutes in): https://youtu.be/gKUYOv1HwiA?t=1160

At a point in the future we are given 'immortality' meaning we will never die from then on.

So Christ never had immortality until after he walked this earth. But not before, else how could he have died? Right?

Dynamo54:
Interesting topic. Somewhat touches on a question that I have (and I imagine all have) and that is how did The Word/Logos “give up”, or shed His immortality ( which He must have had at that time to have been in existence for the billions of years that all of this has taken) and become subject to death as human? We know that there was NO chance that He would not fulfill His goal of being the perfect sacrifice because the Father filled Him with His Spirit and did not allow the fleshly/carnal thoughts and impulses of a human being to rule Him.

So I have wondered since it is apparently possible for a spirit being to voluntarily give that up, and by “that” I mean the ability to exist forever, is it possible that Satan and his hosts could voluntarily give up their existence and die? I believe there is scripture that says that spirit does not die, but this whole thing seems a conundrum.

Of course there is no way to know…but the fact that The Word (Yahweh) DID give up His immortality for 33 years really raises questions.

Like, did The Word (who we know was in fact the Agent of creation) enter into Mary at conception or at birth? Was there nine months where The Word was a fetus not knowing anything in the womb, or was Christ self aware of Himself and His destiny at the moment of His birth?

Mind boggling isn’t it?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version