bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Watch and Prepare verses  (Read 4853 times)

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
  • Bible-Truths Forum Member
Watch and Prepare verses
« on: August 12, 2023, 11:56:09 AM »

There are several verses that tell us to "Watch" but I'm having trouble finding verses that tell us to "prepare" except perhaps The Parable of the Ten Virgins and not preparing with having oil.

Can anyone think of other 'prepare' verses?

Thanks

Rhys 🕊

• 🕊
    • Facebook
Re: Watch and Prepare verses
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2023, 07:17:46 AM »

Luke 14:28-30

For which of you, desiring to build a tower, does not first sit down and count the cost, whether he has enough to complete it? Otherwise, when he has laid a foundation and is not able to finish, all who see it begin to mock him, saying, ‘This man began to build and was not able to finish.’

——————————————-

I would see counting the cost is preparing as there are many things to consider.

Also this verse

Proverbs 24:27

Prepare your work outside; get everything ready for yourself in the field, and after that build your house.

———————————

That’s a good topic. Speaks to me that I still have things to sort out. It seems to me it could be easy to skip some things and let’s just build the house. The end goal may be good but often God pulls me back because I missed something. Perhaps I often think that thing is not too important but it could be more important than you think. An example would be after losing my wife I got very impatient with people and sometimes got a bit nasty so now realise I need to be more patient and calm.

Rhys
🤫

Musterseed

• God is Love
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2023, 11:16:27 AM »

1John2:15~16…….. Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world, if any man love
the world, the love of the Father is not in him…….

John 16:33….These things I have spoken unto you that in me you might have peace.
In the world you will have tribulation .
Be of good cheer. I have overcome the world.

2 Peter 1:5-7 & 10…. For if you do these things you shall never fall.

John 8:31….Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on Him,
“ if you continue in My Word, then are you my disciples indeed.”

Proverbs 23:7… as he thinks in his heart so is he.

Luke 12:30-34… …. For where your treasure is there your heart will be also.

Acts 14:22…..Continue in the faith, that it is with much tribulation we enter
into the Kingdom of God.

How do we prepare for tribulation?
Tribulation in this verse. Strongs 2347
Thlipsis and it means , pressure, affliction, anguish, burdened, persecution
tribulation, trouble.
When God calls one to be a son or daughter in His Kingdom, He puts them in a spiritual pressure
cooker. This is needful; this is necessary, this must be done.
But let me be quick to affirm that these great trials are not without reward, both now and forever.
( Ray)

We have to endure to the end, we have to overcome the world.
Rev. 2:26…. And he who overcomes and keeps My works unto the end……

Phil. 2:13… For it is God which works in you,
both to will and to do of His good pleasure.

Put on the whole armour of God, which is Christ.
Revelation….. he who has an ear let him hear what the Spirit
says to the churches.

Fight the good fight everyone and keep the unity of the Spirit. We are ONE.
" No man can come to me,except the Father draw him"
                                   (John 6: 44)

Musterseed

• God is Love
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2023, 12:36:36 PM »

As for watching……
I just watched a video on YouTube
Called The Pope Video.
He is calling for the Abolition of Torture.

Well now, what do we make of that
bit of wisdom?
" No man can come to me,except the Father draw him"
                                   (John 6: 44)

Porter

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2023, 02:47:04 PM »

Mat 11:10  This is the one it is written about: Look, I am sending My messenger ahead of You; he will prepare Your way before You.
Eph 2:10  For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
Luk 22:31  "Simon, Simon, look out! Satan has asked to sift you like wheat.
Luk 22:32  But I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail. And you, when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers."

arion

• Marquette, MI
    • Big Bay Michigan Weather
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2023, 10:02:56 PM »

1Ti 5:8  But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

Pro 6:6-8  Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise: Which having no guide, overseer, or ruler, Provideth her meat in the summer, and gathereth her food in the harvest.

Pro 20:4  The sluggard will not plow by reason of the cold; therefore shall he beg in harvest, and have nothing.

Also Gen 41 with Pharoah's dream and Joseph's interpretation of the dream culminating in this;

Gen 41:33-36  Now therefore let Pharaoh look out a man discreet and wise, and set him over the land of Egypt.  Let Pharaoh do this, and let him appoint officers over the land, and take up the fifth part of the land of Egypt in the seven plenteous years.  And let them gather all the food of those good years that come, and lay up corn under the hand of Pharaoh, and let them keep food in the cities.  And that food shall be for store to the land against the seven years of famine, which shall be in the land of Egypt; that the land perish not through the famine.

Heb 11:7  By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.

There is actually quite a bit in the scriptures about being prepared and preparing.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 10:58:08 PM by arion »

zvezda

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2023, 05:18:21 PM »

Luke 12:35 Be dressed ready for service and keep your lamps burning,
Luke 12:36 like servants waiting for their master to return from a wedding banquet, so that when he comes and knocks they can immediately open the door for him.

Luke 21:36 Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.

1 Peter 4:7 But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer.
1 Peter 4:8 And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins.

2 Peter 3:12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?

Rev 3:3 Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.

To recap:
- watch, stay alert
- pray always
- be dressed ready, keep your lamps burning
- love one another
- anticipate and hasten (desire earnestly) the coming of the day of God
- remember what you heard and received (remember the teaching you were given and heard)
- repent

But all ten virgins (both the wise and foolish) did fall asleep while waiting, it's strange that the wise five didn't stay alert.

Noah prepared an ark (a safe haven) for his family and all the beasts, I think Ray and Dennis also prepared the spiritual ark, aka bible-truths.com, for us beasts  :)

« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 10:44:47 AM by zvezda »

indianabob

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2023, 02:45:14 PM »

=
zvezda wrote
But all ten virgins (both the wise and foolish) did fall asleep while waiting, it's strange that the wise five didn't stay alert.
=
As long as a person has prepared faithfully it is alright to sleep, because when you awake  to answer the call it will be with joy and not with dread.

zvezda

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2023, 07:57:00 PM »

=
zvezda wrote
=
As long as a person has prepared faithfully it is alright to sleep, because when you awake  to answer the call it will be with joy and not with dread.

But the scripture tells us not to sleep

Mark 13:36 Lest coming suddenly he find you sleeping.
1 Thes 5:6 Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober.

ralph

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2023, 03:57:57 AM »

=
zvezda wrote
=

But the scripture tells us not to sleep

Mark 13:36 Lest coming suddenly he find you sleeping.
1 Thes 5:6 Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober.

You are correct zvezda. 

1 Thessalonians 5:8
8 But let us who are of the day be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love, and as a helmet the hope of salvation.

1 Peter 1:13-16
13 Therefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and rest your hope fully upon the grace that is to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; 14 as obedient children, not conforming yourselves to the former lusts, as in your ignorance; 15 but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, 16 because it is written, “Be holy, for I am holy.”

1Pe 5:8
Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.

Luke 9:32
32 But Peter and those with him were heavy with sleep; and when they were fully awake, they saw His glory and the two men who stood with Him.

Eph 5:14

Therefore He says:

“Awake, you who sleep,
Arise from the dead,
And Christ will give you light.”

Rom 13:11
And do this, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep; for now our salvation is nearer than when we first believed.

1Co 15:34
Awake to righteousness, and do not sin; for some do not have the knowledge of God. I speak this to your shame.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 23 queries.