bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Face of angel  (Read 8552 times)

HoneyLamb56

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Face of angel
« on: December 26, 2023, 01:17:27 PM »

hope everyone had or is still having a joyous holiday time with family and friends

a small query re Acts 6:15 "all who sat in the council, looking steadfastly at him (Stephen),  saw his face as the face of an angel".

No one knows what an angel looks like as we regard them as messengers, so would possibly he have had some kind of "glow" or expression about him?  We sometimes look at children and express that they have the face of an angel (innocence/cuteness) but how could that be applied to an adult?  What do you think?

Diane

ZekeSr

Re: Face of angel
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2023, 03:54:17 PM »

Hello Diane,

After reading this in context and checking Strongs and Thayer, I believe it to NOT be referring to some ethereal manifestation, but rather his steadfast resolute physical appearance, right down to the “look” in his eyes that matched his spiritually unwavering responses. Perhaps very similar to how an angel, by definition a messenger from God, might also look. After all, the apostilles were in effect messengers. I think it may also be implied that they knew Stephen was a messenger from God in the same way that Nicodemus admitted how they knew Jesus was from God.

Mike

Porter

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2023, 10:12:58 AM »

I wonder if Stephen's face looked like something Manoah's wife saw on the face of this "man of God"?

Jdg 13:6  Then the woman came and told her husband, saying, A man of God came unto me, and his countenance was like the countenance of an angel of God, very terrible:
Luk 22:31  "Simon, Simon, look out! Satan has asked to sift you like wheat.
Luk 22:32  But I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail. And you, when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers."

octoberose

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2023, 10:57:13 AM »

That’s interesting.  Why wouldn’t it be a glow or some other other worldly kind of look ? I’d be interested to know what you found in looking up the context of the verse. Moses glowed after meeting with God. The women saw an angel at the tomb- who knows how many other people at the time actually saw an angel?

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2023, 11:37:08 AM »

We know the angels sin so no glow IMO.

Musterseed

• God is Love
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2023, 01:32:22 PM »

I believe this is speaking of wisdom and how it makes you shine, in contrast to
those who have hardened hearts.

Stephen was a type of Jesus.

ECC.8:1… Who is like the wise? And who knows the interpretation of a thing?
A MANS WISDOM MAKES HIS FACE SHINE AND THE HARDNESS OF HIS FACE
IS CHANGED.

Num.6:25…. The Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious to you.
            26… the Lord lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace.
I think Stephen was at peace when he died.

Psalm 89:15…Blessed are the people who know the festal shout, who walk
O Lord in the light of your face.

Psalm 119:135…. Make your face shine upon your servant and teach me your statutes.

This is in contrast to
Deu.28:49….a hard faced nation who shall not respect the old or show mercy to the young.

I believe this to be another parable of the many called ( hard faced)
And few chosen( they shine in the face of their Fathers wisdom)

Psalm 4:6… there are many who say,” who will show us some good”?
Lift up the light of your face upon us O Lord.

Prov.4:18…. But the path of the just is as the shining light that shines
more and more and unto the perfect day.

Stephen shone with the wisdom of His Lords words. I don’t believe this to be
a physical glow but that’s just as I see it.
" No man can come to me,except the Father draw him"
                                   (John 6: 44)

indianabob

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2023, 01:12:35 AM »

Friends, please consider that this examination of Stephen was orchestrated by God for a great purpose and had God's blessing and participation spiritually.
=
For example, please continue to read in Chpt. 7:1-60 and especially verses 55-60.

Stephen was apparently filled with God's spirit the whole time as God gave him the words to speak.

55 But Stephen, full of the Holy Spirit, looked up to heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. 56 “Look,” he said, “I see heaven open and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God.”

57 At this they covered their ears and, yelling at the top of their voices, they all rushed at him, 58 dragged him out of the city and began to stone him. Meanwhile, the witnesses laid their coats at the feet of a young man named Saul.

59 While they were stoning him, Stephen prayed, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.” 60 Then he fell on his knees and cried out, “Lord, do not hold this sin against them.” When he had said this, he fell asleep.

ZekeSr

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2023, 03:10:48 PM »

That’s interesting.  Why wouldn’t it be a glow or some other other worldly kind of look ? I’d be interested to know what you found in looking up the context of the verse. Moses glowed after meeting with God. The women saw an angel at the tomb- who knows how many other people at the time actually saw an angel?

When I spoke of context, I was merely referring to reading the entire narrative, rather than focusing on a single verse, in order to get a better visualization of the account. Perhaps my opinion would have been better understood if I had referred to the verse as a metaphor.

While every opinion has merit and deserves to be heard, and I truly hope I’m not being insulting, I think a supernatural manifestation like a glowing face would have been directly mentioned and, quite frankly, would have scared the c**p out of anyone in attendance and changed the entire narrative.

Bob, I think you hit the nail on the head much better than I could have. Thank you.

As a side note. I find verse 57 to be especially interesting in light of present-day society’s “cancel culture”. Stephen paid the ultimate price of his cancel culture. Nothing has really changed. They couldn’t win the “debate” and Stephen finally said what they needed to give them the excuse to “cancel” him. I find it fascinating that they covered their ears (does anyone know if that was a custom of the times) and shouted him down in anger. Custom or no custom, I find it very telling. Many aspects of our society are still, in effect, doing the very same thing. And it's escalating.

Mike

ralph

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2023, 02:39:13 AM »

8 Now, Stephen, full of favour and power, began to do great wonders and signs among the people.

10 And they could not withstand the wisdom and the Spirit with which he was speaking

If you saw someone doing great wonders and signs, speaking with wisdom and the spirit, you might also look steadfastly at that person as if they were a messenger from God—no glow required.

Any one of us can be used to send a message from God.

True story, and I am not comparing myself to Stephen or saying that I had any extraordinary power: I had an experience where I felt compelled to walk up to a stranger in a hospital. A young woman in a wheelchair was sobbing and suffering from drug addiction withdrawal. I had experienced something similar years ago, so I approached, grabbed her hand, and told her she would be okay. I don't recall the rest of the conversation, but her spirits were lifted, and she smiled. I was filled with so much love and compassion for her. It was an incredible experience. I imagine all she saw in my face was a 50-year-old man with a grey beard and a baseball cap, but she said, "What a nice man" to her mother as I walked away. I know she felt the love of Jesus Christ during that interaction. I think about her a lot and pray that she has recovered.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 19 queries.