bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Desires of our hearts  (Read 10011 times)

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
Desires of our hearts
« on: March 30, 2006, 09:54:11 AM »

Is it still true that God will give us the "desires of our hearts" if we pray and ask for it?  Specifically, my husband and I are praying for God to open doors for us to buy our very first home in a nice area, where we can raise our two children, and I asked Him to give me $100,000 or much more, even, to buy some land, invest, and help others in need financially; is it wrong to pray for this and expect and trust God to give us what we specifically asked him for?
I hope you can actually respond to me directly, cause I really want to know.  I know you get a lot of emails and that you need your rest.  You can respond to me when you've been rested up and nurished by physical food, and I'll respect that, but please do respond to me...  I don't want to assume things of God that I shouldn't even when I pray.  Sorry if you've answered this before, I didn't see it on your website in FAQs.

Neka
Dear Neka:
There are so many misconceptions about prayer, that I cannot cover them in an email, but I do promise to write a paper entitled "The Answer to Unanswered Prayer" in the near future, as I believe it is a most important subject.
I do not believe for one minute that God will answer your prayer for "a $100,000 house, plus MUCH MORE, and even some land to invest in" etc.  It is a nice jesture that you tack on, adding that you would use some of the prophets to help those in need.
My first thought when I read you email was, "Why not just ask God to makeyou a multimillionaire, and forget all the land stuff, and you would then already have enough to help others with?"  I just don't believe that God works that way, Neka.
Pray for your needs of "food, clothing, and shelter." Thank God for what you have. Work hard and save for a home, and be willing to make payments like most of us have had to do.
  Abraham may have been very rich, but I tell you in all truth, that many people on welfare and food stamps live far better than Abraham ever thought to live--Central heating and air home, car, frig, TV, electric stoves, microwaves, dishwashers, indoor toilets, showers and baths, glass wildows, plush furniture, professionl health care, and a hundred other things that Abraham and Sarah could not have even dreamed of.
I have seen many people LUST for things of this world, and acquired them, but rare is the times that God just sends a hundred thousand dollar house and much wealth merely because someone prays for it. Look for my paper on Prayer. It will be posted on our home page.
God be with you,
Ray

"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time. ( I Timothy 2)

Falconn003

Desires of our hearts
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 12:12:26 PM »

Why not just CUT out the middleman and Pray that God would give to those in need.  Is this not the simplest form of prayer to ask for the fulfillment of others in need and not ourselves.

And to pray for material things when they themselves lack SPIRITUAL things. Is plain nonsense.

Why these loaded questions get even asked is beyond me.
 :roll:
Rodger

zander

Desires of our hearts
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 12:34:47 PM »

Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them. Mark 11:24

Can someone tell me what is meant by the above then?

Sorin

Desires of our hearts
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 12:44:26 PM »

Quote from: zander
Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them. Mark 11:24

Can someone tell me what is meant by the above then?

I don't believe that verse to be literally true... not anymore.

Sorin

Desires of our hearts
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 12:47:52 PM »

...and I wasn't asking for " material things " either.

zander

Desires of our hearts
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 12:52:02 PM »

My answer to this verse is that you need at least a mustard seed size of faith for any prayer to come true.

And who gives us faith?

Falconn003

Desires of our hearts
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 12:54:28 PM »

a
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 08:13:40 AM by Falconn003 »

zander

Desires of our hearts
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 01:21:32 PM »

I agree with you to an extent Rodger.  However, my testimony is that i have prayed for physical things before and they have come answered.  I dont expect it to happen all the time, even most of the time, which is why i dont always pray for physical things

Remember that the verse in Mark says "What things soever ye desire.  That means anything you desire.  BUT that desire has to be in line with God's will and therefore you must have the faith in that prayer that God GIVES you.

To have a prayer answered you need faith.  Only God gives us faith.  Its God who determines whether we receive or not and that depends on the amount of faith he gives us, in prayer.  Fleshly desires may not hold much faith, hence why they can tend to go unanswered

James 5:15 And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven.

As we grow spiritually, i think we have less fleshly desires anyway, so we eventually dont pray for them anyway

ertsky

Desires of our hearts
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 01:50:25 PM »

Abraham may have been very rich, but I tell you in all truth, that many people on welfare and food stamps live far better than Abraham ever thought to live--Central heating and air home, car, frig, TV, electric stoves, microwaves, dishwashers, indoor toilets, showers and baths, glass wildows, plush furniture, professionl health care, and a hundred other things that Abraham and Sarah could not have even dreamed of.

i've thought that a few times myself, i mean how cool are toilets
way cool, and toilet paper, man what an invention

call me over civilised but the thought of a piece of dirt and some leaves just terrifies me LOL!

f

1Ti 6:8  And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.
1Ti 6:9  But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.
1Ti 6:10  For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
1Ti 6:11  But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.

Falconn003

Desires of our hearts
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 01:56:12 PM »

a
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 08:13:29 AM by Falconn003 »

Falconn003

Desires of our hearts
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 02:05:18 PM »

a

« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 08:13:21 AM by Falconn003 »

love_magnified

Desires of our hearts
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2006, 02:47:19 PM »

Quote from: Falconn003
Why not just CUT out the middleman and Pray that God would give to those in need.  Is this not the simplest form of prayer to ask for the fulfillment of others in need and not ourselves.

Because if they did that, they wouldn't be able to pocket anything for themselves ;)

Falconn003

Desires of our hearts
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2006, 02:51:43 PM »

love_magnified

No kidding huh.

oh hush......Your too funny .

Rodger

SandyFla

Desires of our hearts
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2006, 02:54:59 PM »

Remember that the verse in Mark says "What things soever ye desire.  That means anything you desire.  BUT that desire has to be in line with God's will and therefore you must have the faith in that prayer that God GIVES you.

Excellent point, Zander. We are to have the mind of Christ (Phil. 2:5, I Cor. 2:15). When we do, our desires will be in line with God's. So then, whatever we desire, God also desires, and He will give us those things.

Falconn003

Desires of our hearts
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2006, 03:00:51 PM »

](*,)

I'll wait for the book on this to come out, if L. Ray Smith does not write an article on it 1st.

til then i'll be a cliff hanger.

Rodger

eutychus

Desires of our hearts
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2006, 04:20:12 PM »

I agree with you to an extent Rodger.  However, my testimony is that i have prayed for physical things before and they have come answered.  I dont expect it to happen all the time, even most of the time, which is why i dont always pray for physical things

To have a prayer answered you need faith.  Only God gives us faith.  Its God who determines whether we receive or not and that depends on the amount of faith he gives us, in prayer.  Fleshly desires may not hold much faith, hence why they can tend to go unanswered

James 5:15 And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven.

As we grow spiritually, i think we have less fleshly desires anyway, so we eventually dont pray for them anyway

nice post zander.
here: we have confadence in FATHER

If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

as we mature we move on to this:

Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?

obviously this dosnt apply to the man providing for his family.

Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, [shall he] not much more [clothe] you, O ye of little faith?

But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Kevin

Desires of our hearts
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2006, 05:20:19 PM »

Rodger, Bling,Bling-Go Snoop Falcon.lol

Andrew

Desires of our hearts
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2006, 06:41:08 PM »

Mat 6:7  But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.
Mat 6:8  Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.