bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.


.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaving out Half of scripture  (Read 2621 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Craig

  • Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4282
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
Leaving out Half of scripture
« on: June 01, 2007, 06:57:08 PM »

> Pedro R
>
> I am in the process of building my website also, and I
> enjoy interacting with other believers. On your
> tithing matter you did not quote the entire scripture
> as you have posted it. On your website Mathew 23:23
> reads "WOE UNTO YOU, SCRIBES AND PHARISEES,
> HYPOCRITES! For you tithe of mint and anise and
> cummin [little herbs of the garden], and have OMITTED
> the weightier matters of the law, JUDGMENT, MERCY, AND
> FAITH..." however I know you are aware that this is
> not the entirety of that scripture you left out this
> part “: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave
> the other undone.” That is how Mathew 23:23 should
> read. Christ is not telling us to reframe from the
> tithe but rather to include the more important matters
> of the law, which are Judgment, Mercy, and Faith along
> with the other matters of the law. S o y ou see, by
> leaving out half of the scripture, you have confused
> it’s meaning. But thanks be to God, that you have the
> boldness to post scripture book and verse.
>
> There are many situations in the bible that the
> readers assume happened based on reading scripture.
> For example, we assume that many were killing until
> God said, “thou shalt not kill” it would be a safe
> assumption. However, just like we can assume Abraham
> wasn’t tithing of his own personal possessions, we can
> assume he was. There remains no proof that he wasn’t.
> I question whether this e-mail will be “conveniently
> left out” of your postings.
 

Dear Pedro:  Don't try to demean me. It is you who are in error.
You smugly state:
 
"So you see, by  leaving out half of the scripture, you have confused
it’s meaning.." 
 
You are wrong. Here are the verses quoted IN FULL, IN BOLD, RIGHT
FROM MY PAPER ON "Tithing is Unscriptural...."
 

CHRIST’S ONLY TWO EXAMPLES OF TITHERS

Paul was inspired by God's Holy Spirit to declare that "God loves a cheerful giver" (II Cor.9:7). Why was not Paul inspired by God’s Holy Spirit to declare that, "God loves a cheerful tithe-payer?" In fact, why does not Paul mention the words tithe, tithes, or tithing in any of His thirteen epistles—not once? (Paul did not write the book of Hebrews, II Thes. 3:17). Why does not Peter, James, John, or Jude mention tithing in any of their epistles? Why didn’t the early Christian Fathers mention tithing as a doctrine of the New Testament Church? Therefore, why are innumerable thousands of evangelists, theologians, teachers, preachers, and clergymen teaching the world that if they don’t tithe ten percent of their salaries, that God will curse them with a curse?

The only two times in the New Testament that Jesus mentions tithing is in condemnation of the Pharisees. At the time of Jesus’ ministry there was a temple and there was a Levitic Priesthood, hence tithing was still in effect for the Jews. Hear now the only words ever recorded of Jesus mentioning tithes:

   1.

      "But WOE [deep distress, misery, grief, misfortune, calamity, sorrow, dismay] unto you Pharisees! For ye tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs [some had farms; some had gardens], and pass over JUDGMENT and the LOVE OF GOD: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone" (Luke 11:42).
       
      And just what kind of a blessing did Jesus pronounce on these Pharisees for their "tithe of the mint and herbs"? No blessing, just a startling "WOE"!
   2.

      "And the Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God… I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess" (Luke 18:12).

And just what kind of a blessing did Jesus pronounced on this Pharisee for his "tithe"?

No blessing, no justification, just a promise that people like him will be "abased" (Ver. 14)."

Your apology is accepted.

It is wrong to assume that Abraham ever tithed anything of his own. There was no such law.

Jacob who inherited Abraham's wealth never tithed either, but on one occasion told God that if God made him even more wealthy, then and only then would he give him a tenth back. This is NOT TITHING!!

God be with you,

Ray
 
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
 

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 26 queries.