bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Luke 16:15-18  (Read 4853 times)

rjsurfs

Luke 16:15-18
« on: July 21, 2007, 12:11:02 PM »

I have recently started Lazarus and the Rich Man paper again... taking more time to meditate on the passages.  Ray's main focus of course is the 5th part of the 5-part parable.  I wanted however, to study the entire parable as well and have read Luke chapters 15 and 16 repeatedly.  I want to understand how the different parts tie together and the message that Jesus is giving to us.

I would like your interpretation specifically of Luke 16:15-18.  (It needs to be read in context though of course)

King James Version   

15And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.

16The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.

17And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail.

18Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery.

This section seems to be a break in the story-telling to chide the pharasees...as is in verse 14 we see the pharasees are making fun of Jesus' after hearing the parable's 4th part... for one, because of their love of money.  Immediately following verse 18 Jesus begins the Lazarus and the Rich Man portion.

What is your interpretation of those verses?  Specifically 16-18?  and then in relation to the entire 5-part parable?

Some commentary I've read from Concordant Publishing speaks of Deprivation, Divorce, and Death... and indicates the mention of divorce parallels God's divorce from the harlot Israel...

I can't seem to get a clear understanding of this... thoughts?

Thank you

musicman

Re: Luke 16:15-18
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 11:21:33 PM »

Bobby stated:
I would like your interpretation specifically of Luke 16:15-18.  (It needs to be read in context though of course)

[/quote]

Be careful Bobby.  I think Christiandom owns the rights to the word context.  The new definition for that word is:

Context-To be in agreement with churchianity.  Whenever a scripture is used to prove a church doctrine wrong it is considered to be out of context.

jER

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 06:40:03 PM »

Luke 15:1-2; 16:1, 14

"Then drew near to him, all the publicans and sinners, for to hear him"

"And, the Pharisees and scribes murmured…"

"And, he said also to his disciples."

"And, the Pharisees also who were covetous, heard all, these things: and they derided him."

The Pharisees basically turned their nose up at the teachings of Jesus with contempt, despising him and revealing that their hearts were hardened.

Luke 16:15-18

"And, he said unto them, you are they which justify yourselves (outward appearance) before men; but God knows your hearts (John 2:25, Acts 15:8 ) for that which is highly esteemed among men (the love of money, etc.) is abomination in the sight of God."

"The law and the prophets were until John: since that time, the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presses (all are urged to enter) into it."

"And, it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle (tiniest bit; one iota, as in the dot of an - i) of the law to fail."

"Whosoever puts away his wife and marries another, commits adultery: and whosoever marries her that is put away from her husband, commits adultery."

The last verse above (verse 18) seems to be nothing less than, another rebuke of these Pharisees while they scoffed at Jesus’ teachings.  They claim to preserve and obey the "Law", but had actually set it aside. An example would be that of divorce.  This also was "highly esteemed among men" (changing wives for one better looking, sexier, who did not burn water, the dinner) – an adulterous generation (Matthew 12:39, John 8:1-11). Full of covetousness, idolatry, and apostasy which seemed to be common, even to this day.

Let’s not forget the written-divorcement which was not meant to be the standard (conjugal infidelity – HYPOCRITES, thus says the Lord).

Jesus said in Mark 10:5 - "Because of the hardness of your heart he (Moses) wrote you this percept."

However, I do not believe this was condoned, but rather, is reproved sharply. At least this is how I view these Scripture verses, between, the teachings (parables) of Jesus.

Accountability before the Lord is vastly greater than man’s opinion(s). His values stink and are contradictory to God’s, unless they line up with His Truths.

- jER

Perhaps, Jesus was multi-tasking (teaching/correcting).
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 06:55:13 PM by jER »

rjsurfs

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 10:12:42 PM »

Thank you jER... and I agree with you.  I suspect that the statement regarding divorce within this 5 part parable however is as symbolic as the other verses in these two chapters.

Much of the entire parable seems to be summarized here:

Luke 16:13 (King James Version)
 No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
...or God and anything else (any other gods).

I've been wondering if any of this paralleled what we read in Jeremiah...

Jeremiah 3:8 (King James Version)
 And I saw, when for all the causes whereby backsliding Israel committed adultery I had put her away, and given her a bill of divorce; yet her treacherous sister Judah feared not, but went and played the harlot also.

So God divorces those who sleep with other gods...  does anyone here think the mention of divorce amidst the 5-part parable is symbolic of this... and possibly pointing to God's divorce from the ones who were, at that time, the leaders the church?   

I am certainly not claiming to be interpretting this correctly...  I've just been meditating on these chapters of late... if anyone has any thoughts it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Beloved

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 02:26:22 AM »

I do not believe that Ray has not dealth directly with this subject in any of his papers, except that all parables are spiritual.

To understand jerimiah you need to look at the blessings of Jacob made in Eygpt to the 12 sons.... Jospehs son got the birthright and right to be called Israel and Judah got the septra to rule.

Only Jerusalem/Levi and benjaminites made up the return to Jersusalem. Israel was dispersed and became assimilated.

In the NT when Christ curses the fig trees, you then need to read also the verses in Jerimiah about the good and rotten/naughty figs.

Both Israel and Judah will be reunited with Christ.. by birthright and septre.

Paul the Benjamite (bother to Joseph)  went out to preach to the gentiles in the outlying regions  (Many of these were physical desendents of Israel who assimilated with the nations after their capture).  True Israel was divorced but were now were taken back as the church formed.

Judah  another symbol of the church (read Hosea) was not divorced with a writ but when Christ died (the wife is no longer under the law). So Christ can now remarry her too.  True Jews are those who totally submit to the authoirty of Christ.

Keep in mind that Many are called but few are chosen but there is a total plan

This is very complicated thing to discuss in a few paragraphs because there are so many things that also need to be discssed. .....Everything is interconnected.
God is in control of all

Beloved   
it is also too late for me right now to go on... I have to get up in 5 hrs
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 20 queries.