bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: re the vultures ?  (Read 5554 times)

chav

re the vultures ?
« on: March 25, 2008, 01:33:14 PM »

Hi
this has always puzzled me and I wonder if anyone can help me .
In Matt 24 Jesus is talking about his return, and signs at the end of the age. In verse 28 he makes this statement

'Wherever the corpse is, there the vultures will gather'. v 28

who or what is he talking about in relation to his return ?
who or what do the corpse and vultures represent ?

is it possibly to do with the events of 70 AD and the destruction of Jerusalem ?

also

What is the sin that leads to death mentioned in 1 John 5:17 ?
Is the death mentioned spiritual ,physical ,or both ?

'If anyone sees his brother committing a sin not leading to death, he shall ask, and God will give him life--to those who commit sins that do not lead to death. There is sin that leads to death; I do not say that one should pray for that.'

Has Ray written about this anywhere ?

Thanks Dave

lilitalienboi16

Re: re the vultures ?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 03:08:01 PM »

I found some verses that might pertain to the vultures.

Luke 17: 30-37

Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed.

In that day, he which shall be upon the housetop, and his stuff in the house, let him not come down to take it away: and he that is in the field, let him likewise not return back.

Remember Lot's wife.

Whosoever shall seek to save his life shall lose it; and whosoever shall lose his life shall preserve it.

I tell you, in that night there shall be two men in one bed; the one shall be taken, and the other shall be left.

Two women shall be grinding together; the one shall be taken, and the other left.

Two men shall be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left.

And they answered and said unto him, Where, Lord? And he said unto them, Wheresoever the body is, thither will the eagles be gathered together.

Christ was speaking a parable once more. His Words are spirit. It is possible it pertained to the destruction in 70 AD but i have a strong feeling the meaning goes much deeper than that.

Job 28:7 There is a path which no fowl knoweth, and which the vulture's eye hath not seen:

Isaiah 34:15 "There shall the great owl make her nest, and lay, and hatch, and gather under her shadow: there shall the vultures also be gathered, every one with her mate."

Seems to me that vultures are like the opposite of the dove.

Are vultures fowls of the air?

Mark 4:4 And it came to pass, as he sowed, some fell by the way side, and the fowls of the air came and devoured it up.

Luke 8:5 A sower went out to sow his seed: and as he sowed, some fell by the way side; and it was trodden down, and the fowls of the air devoured it.

Jeremiah 5:27 "As a cage is full of birds, so are their houses full of deceit: therefore they are become great, and waxen rich."

Genesis 40:17-19

And in the uppermost basket there was of all manner of bakemeats for Pharaoh; and the birds did eat them out of the basket upon my head.

And Joseph answered and said, This is the interpretation thereof: The three baskets are three days:

Yet within three days shall Pharaoh lift up thy head from off thee, and shall hang thee on a tree; and the birds shall eat thy flesh from off thee.

It seems to me that these vultures are not good? I'm speculating though. Perhaps others have better insight.

Great question though!

God bless,

Alex

chav

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 04:58:56 PM »

Hi
Just a thought.
In some translations the term 'eagle' is used ,which makes me think about the Roman standards that were carried with the roman armies into battle.

I got this from google

n ancient Rome the standards were an important part of the army. The standards contained many symbols: an eagle, a god, the Emperor, a wolf, a Minotaur, a horse, a boar, a ram, and others. The eagle was the symbol of the Roman legion. The standard bearer was called the Signifer.

The corpse may therefore be a reference to the Jewish nation which which had rejected Christ ( therefore becoming a spiritual corpse) perhaps the quote was a prophecy by Jesus relating to the destruction of Jerusalem and the Jewish  nation by the Roman legions in AD 70.

cheers

Dave

Kat

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 06:48:54 PM »

Hi Dave,

Mat 24:28 Wheresoever, the corpse, shall be, there, shall be gathered, the vultures! (Rotherham)

Luke 17:37 And, answering, they say unto him—Where, Lord? And, He, said unto them—Where the body is, there, the vultures also, will be gathered together. (Rotherham)

I think "the body" is talking about the few.  And "the corpse" is, our dying to the carnal/flesh.  And that is what the vultures are symbolic of, as you see they gather to a dead animal, and spiritually these symbolic vultures are gathered to our dying flesh.

2Co 4:10  Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body.
v. 11  For we which live are always delivered unto death for Jesus' sake, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 08:27:43 PM »

Hi Dave,

Mat 24:28 Wheresoever, the corpse, shall be, there, shall be gathered, the vultures! (Rotherham)

Luke 17:37 And, answering, they say unto him—Where, Lord? And, He, said unto them—Where the body is, there, the vultures also, will be gathered together. (Rotherham)

I think "the body" is talking about the few.  And "the corpse" is, our dying to the carnal/flesh.  And that is what the vultures are symbolic of, as you see they gather to a dead animal, and spiritually these symbolic vultures are gathered to our dying flesh.

2Co 4:10  Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body.
v. 11  For we which live are always delivered unto death for Jesus' sake, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Great observations Kat! I think we're getting somewhere now! =]

Stevernator

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 08:32:52 PM »

Hi Dave!
I think the sin unto death is idolatry. Check this verse out at then end of 1 John. First he warns about
the sin unto death and then doesnt mention what it is. But at the end of 1 John he warns about a
specific sin.

1Jn 5:21 Little children, guard yourselves from idols!"

In the OT, the Israelites constantly fell into idolatry.

Exo 32:31 So Moses returned to Yahweh and said: Oh! this people has sinned a great sin, and they made for themselves an elohim of gold.

Lev 26:30 I will exterminate your fane heights, cut down your incense stands and bestow your corpses upon the corpses of your idol clods; thus My soul will loathe you.

What do you guys think?

psalmsinger

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 08:33:48 AM »

Thinking back to back to vs. 23-24 ......   Eagles are birds of prey.  They seek the dead to devour, much like satan and his angels feed on the dust.  I took it as a warning not to seek "Jesus' coming" in a crowd where false prophets are feeding off of the flesh of the dead congregation. We can watch that on TV and watch it live in many of the churches. Most of us have experienced those vultures tearing at our flesh, trying to get control of our minds and pocketbooks :) He is not in the desert, He is not in a secret place that only your pastor knows about.  You don't need to look in the deserts and dry places when the truth is as blinding as the light of day as God chooses to reveal it to you.  I could be wrong, but I'm thinking now that the many are the dead body, the few are those who heed the warning to come out of her my people to the Light.

Matt 24:23-28
23   Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not.
24   For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.
25   Behold, I have told you before.
26   Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not.
27   For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
28   For wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together.
(KJV)

Rest in the Lord,
Barbara

Hi Dave,

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.