bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New name  (Read 5164 times)

sansmile

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • my beautiful grandchildren
New name
« on: October 26, 2008, 03:47:11 PM »

Hi all,
I know that we all will be given a new name, but i thought i read also that Christ would be given a new name?? I may be wrong on this but i thought i saw Ray speak of this?? Can anyone help me here??
God Bless
Sansmile x
Walk in the Spirit

Linny

Re: New name
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 03:52:45 PM »

Is this the Scripture? I have several translations here. But I do remember reading something more about it in Rev. I thought.

Rev 3:12

(ASV)  He that overcometh, I will make him a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go out thence no more: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God, and mine own new name.

(CEV)  Everyone who wins the victory will be made into a pillar in the temple of my God, and they will stay there forever. I will write on each of them the name of my God and the name of his city. It is the new Jerusalem that my God will send down from heaven. I will also write on them my own new name.

(ESV)  The one who conquers, I will make him a pillar in the temple of my God. Never shall he go out of it, and I will write on him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which comes down from my God out of heaven, and my own new name.

(JPS)

(KJV+)  HimG846 that overcomethG3528 will I makeG4160 a pillarG4769 inG1722 theG3588 templeG3485 of myG3450 God,G2316 andG2532 he shall goG1831 noG3364 moreG2089 out:G1854 andG2532 I will writeG1125 uponG1909 himG846 theG3588 nameG3686 of myG3450 God,G2316 andG2532 theG3588 nameG3686 of theG3588 cityG4172 of myG3450 God,G2316 which is newG2537 Jerusalem,G2419 whichG3739 cometh downG2597 out ofG1537 heavenG3772 fromG575 myG3450 God:G2316 andG2532 I will write upon him myG3450 newG2537 name.G3686

(YLT)  He who is overcoming--I will make him a pillar in the sanctuary of my God, and without he may not go any more, and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, that doth come down out of the heaven from my God--also my new name.

sansmile

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 03:58:17 PM »

Hi Linnny,
So in rev3:12  it is Christ speaking yes?? And it is His name He is speaking of  or  is it the new name of the overcomer??
Thanks  Sandie
Walk in the Spirit

Stevernator

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 04:15:43 PM »

Rev 19
 11And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

12His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.

13And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.

14And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.

15And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.

16And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.

ScarletWren

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 04:17:10 PM »

This is what I have learned, which isn't much compared to some, but I have found comfort in the small things revealed to me.  In our society, we mostly name our children because we like the name, rarely even really knowing what the name implies.  Names in Bible times were much more than just something they called each other.  When Jesus said to pray "in His name" he didn't mean to just say "this I ask in Jesus' name" like some magical formula, but that we were to assume His NATURE and pray the way He prayed.  So when we are given a new name it doesn't mean Tom is going to become Moses, tho we may get a new "handle" I don't know, but it means we are going to be completely changed from the carnal beings we are, which no matter how much we learn, suffer and are transformed in this life, we are not going to get rid of it all this side of the grave/transformation.  It is not until we get our new bodies such as Christ inhabited in His post crucifixion appearings that we will be perfected, in our natures especially.  That is a simplified explanation but perhaps it will help.  

As far as Christ's new name, I can only think that the only change He undergoes is that at that time He has gone from being the Father's only perfected son to being the Head of a Body of many glorified sons.  That is only my elementary reasoning musing out loud tho.

sansmile

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 04:26:27 PM »

Thank you  all

Sandie
x
Walk in the Spirit

Linny

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 08:50:12 PM »

Yes, Sandie, that was Jesus speaking in those scriptures about His new name. I found others in Rev that talked about us getting a new name as well.

Kat

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 09:10:25 PM »

Hi Sandie,

Here is an excerpt from the Lake of Fire part 8 'WHERE IS THE CHURCH THAT JESUS BUILT?' that talks about this "new name."

http://bible-truths.com/lake8.html -----

"To him that overcomes will I give to eat of the hidden manna" (Ver. 17).

That’s CHRIST, the bread of life from heaven, (John 6:48 & 58). I believe that even most nominal Christians would be agreeable to the fact that Jesus Christ IS this "hidden manna," and that it certainly is not literal food for the physical body!

But when we come to things like "the lake of fire which is the second death," the shout goes out, "IT’S LITERAL; IT’S LITERAL." Everything in the Book of Revelation is symbolic and spiritual. I will take a little more time on this next reward to overcomers, just to show how much spiritual teaching and understanding there is in every single word of Revelation.

And, "a white stone." That’s CHRIST. How is a "white stone," "Christ?" This "stone" is SPIRITUAL. Of what earthly (or heavenly) value is "a white stone" if it is a "literal white stone?" It is foolishness to think that these symbols and metaphors of Revelation are literal! Of what eternal value is a white stone with a name written in it? First of all, "stone" is not even the proper translation in this verse. I once thought it represented Christ, "the Stone rejected by Israel, that became the "Chief Corner Stone," but that is not the teaching of this verse.

The Greek word here is "psephos" and not "lithos" which is a large stone such as a millstone, tombstone, or building stone. A psephos is not a stone per se, but rather a "pebble." Gee, that sounds even less valuable than a stone. It’s a SYMBOL! It stands for something SPIRITUAL AND LASTING OF UNFATHOMABLE VALUE!

This particular psepos pebble was used in casting a secret ballot. Now notice what a definition of ballot by the American Heritage College Dictionary: ballot n. 6. A small ball [or pebble] once used to register a secret vote. Next notice this amazing definition in Strong’s Greek Lexicon, #5586. psepos, "a pebble (as worn smooth by handling), i.e. (by impl. Of use as a counter or ballot) a verdict (of acquittal) or ticket (of admission)." A BALLOT, a VERDICT OF ACQUITTAL (not guilt) or ticket of ADMISSION (not rejection)! The opposite of this white ball or pebble of acceptance, is to be rejected and turned away by being "BLACK balled."

Maybe this doesn’t excite you, but this little "pebble" is just pregnant with Scriptural and spiritual Truths! Here is an example where the symbols of Revelation shine like giant beacons in the night. No, this is not just some ordinary "stone" promised to the overcomers in the Churches, but a "ballot pebble" of "acquittal and admission" which has "a new name written which no man knows (Rev. 2:17)," which is "My [Christ’s] new name" (Rev. 3:12), and "a name written which no man knew" (Rev. 19:12).

This is a pebble ballot, cast in secret ("The Lord knows them that are His," even if the world doesn’t), to pronounce an acquittal. Acquittal means a judgment of NOT GUILTY! If we are truly, SPIRITUALLY, BAPTIZED into Christ’s death, then we are "…JUSTIFIED from Sin" (Rom. 6:3-7).

And "Freely JUSTIFIED in His grace…" (Rom. 3:24). Justify means, "to declare free of blame; absolve. Theology To free (a human) of the guilt and penalty attached to grievous sin," The American Heritage College dictionary. That’s ACQUITTAL! Whom ever possesses this white pebble is ACQUITTED OF ALL SINS AND ALL GUILT!

This pebble also signified "admission." An "admission’ is both the permission to enter something, and the price paid for the admission or entrance. Again, Jesus Christ is BOTH! Jesus Christ paid the ultimate penalty for our sins,

"But God commended His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, CHRIST DIED FOR US. Much more then, being now JUSTIFIED by His blood, we shall be SAVED from wrath through Him" (Rom. 5:8-9).

And we can only gain admission and entrance into the kingdom of God through Him. Jesus said, "I am the DOOR…" (John 10:7 & 9), and there is no other. Jesus said to, "Enter ye in at the strait [narrow and cramped] gate…" (Matt. 7:13), and Jesus is the "door" of that gate.

And so this apparently, insignificant little white pebble takes on enormous spiritual value. Our pebble is "white," signifying the purity of both the Giver (Jesus) and the recipient (the overcomer). It is like a spiritual ticket that proves the bearer has been washed clean, forgiven, justified, acquitted of all guilt, and has a paid admission into the Kingdom of God, which Jesus verifies and signifies by His Own written Name! But it is not a literal white pebble with a literal name engraved in it—IT IS A SYMBOL of all of the SPIRITUAL benefits attached to being an "overcomer IN Christ."

"A new name written, which no man knows except he that receives it." [That’s CHRIST, Who] "…had a name written, that no man knew, but He Himself … and His name is called The Word of God" (Rev. 19:12-13).

That’s CHRIST, Jesus is "The Word of God" (John 1:1). The world often treats God’s saints as if they were heretics. Only those who possess the Name of Jesus Christ truly "know" what the name is and all that it represents. Not all who speak of the Name, have the name "written" within them. Men’s lips are often far far from their heart.

I already covered how that "name" is representative of THE PERSON WHO BEARS IT. To believe in THE NAME of Jesus Christ is to believe ALL THAT JESUS IS! And the reason we have a "new" name is because all whom are "IN Christ" are "NEW creatures [new creations]: old things are passed away; behold, ALL THINGS ARE BECOME NEW" ( II Cor. 5:17). We not only have a new name, but we become and ARE A NEW NAME as well.
----------------------------------------------------------

mercy, peace and love
Kat

sansmile

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 06:45:24 PM »

Thank you Kat

xx
Walk in the Spirit
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 19 queries.